What's new

Network copy

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Does anyone know of any good utility for copying data over network? On a 100 mbps line, it seems a shame that you can't get more than 5 MB/s (or 40 mpbs). I'm guessing that it's because of network protocol overhead, but so again, I don't do network apps, so I don't know...

Toasty

Sony battery
If you're just transferring files, you could try using an FTP server on the PC you want to share from. I don't know that it's particularly superior to Windows' regular file-sharing (I'm assuming that's what you're using now?) but sometimes when Windows doesn't want to cooperate I've used it. This is the one I used, but there are plenty to chose from. Just run the server on one computer and then browse to that computer's IP address on your network to download files from it. (For example: ftp://192.168.1.100.) It's not too horribly time-consuming to set up, provided you know what you're doing.

Derek

less evil admin ;)
If you have a system account on that computer, or it's a share, you could just use robocopy.

smcd

I second the ftp thing... they are relatively painless to set up and use and from my experiences seem to be faster than using windows shares. filezilla has both a client and server available (Free), and cerberus ftp is free for personal use (server)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This time I transfered Vista to Vista, wired to wireless, and I got from 6.50 - 7.95 MB/s. New record. This wasn't FTP, btw.

Last edited: