What's new

Naruto fpk format

Dirtie

I know I know, everyone hates the 'narutards' around here, just let me tell you I'm not one of them (though I do enjoy it somewhat). Anyway, I'm interested in the fpk (fpack) format in the Naruto games (I guess it could be in other games as well, but I haven't looked). Obviously they're some sort of archive, and I'd guess they are compressed.

Having a look, the header looks relatively straightforward - it has file names in plain ASCII - but for someone with next to no programming knowledge, I wouldn't know where to start.

The interesting thing in the JAP version of Naruto 1, is that in the 'chr' (character I guess) dir, the files with "3000" after the initial 3 letters in their file name, contain quite an interesting header.

Code:
................chr/bak/[email protected]/bak/3000.poo............k....hr/bak/3000.pro........`.......Hhr/bak/3000.sam...........w...w.hr/bak/3000.sdi............]...$.//.... C/C++ M.usyX Def.ines Inc.lude..Ge.ra.ted by<.olph?.Export. 10:51:1.4 2/../2003...@.#....GRPha.k..17.D.. .SFX.._.1;.984.8.2+
That's the first 308 bytes. What I thought was interesting was the inclusion of a '.h' file (source file if I'm not mistaken?) and the inclusion of that C/C++ there. Of course, I know nothing, so it could mean nothing :p

But saying that, after having a look at the English version, it seems they cleaned this up, and only the file names remain. Same file (bak3000.fpk):
Code:
..............uPhr/bak/3000.poo............d....hr/bak/3000.pro............;...Hhr/bak/[email protected]`..i`hr/bak/3000.sdi
You'll notice it's minus the '.h' file, and I can tell you that's there's no plain discernable ASCII (words anyway) after that.

Were the programmers in a hurry to get the JAP version out, and inadvertently left some source in there? Anyway, it'd be great if someone could at least take a look at it to see what they could figure out, but if not, that's fine by me as well, as I realise you're busy people.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dirtie

OK, no replies :( (I bet it's because it's got 'naruto' in the topic)

Anyway, if noone is willing to even take a look at it, can someone get me started on how I should go about analyzing this? Keep in mind I have next to no programming skills (I can copy/paste into Visual Basic :p), but I am willing to be educated.

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
I will take an interest. Always fun to look at a datafile type. All in programming interest and I see no reason why not to.

I myself do not posess such knowledge. BUT I do know some who do: wiki.xentax.com

They support not only extraction of PC game datafiles, but also those of consoles such as PS2 and XBOX. Hope they can help. :)

Mouser X

Try some of the utilities on this page. I'm not sure, but I think that HCS has come across the FPK format before. There might be a tool that can interpret that filetype there. If not, then also try Game Extractor. It has tons of plugins for it, and one of them might extract the data in the FPK files. If that still doesn't help, then try contacting HCS, or the guy in charge of Game Extractor. They might take interest, and help you out.

Hope that helps some. I would have answered sooner, but I never saw the topic before. Mouser X over and out.

Testure

i know i'm bumping an old thread here, but it seemed more relevant to post it here than to start a new thread. I'm poking around with the fpk format myself, and i've managed to split a few of these files up just by finding the headers of the included files and breaking them apart. There's no real way to tell if they are compressed or not, however, as the file formats are not any that I have encountered before.

For example, in Naruto GNT4 there is a file called seq0000.fpk. In this file there are three different '.seq' files for each playable character in the game, for example: hr/sas/1000.seq, hr/sas/0010.seq, and hr/sas/0000.seq (for sasuke). I havent been able to discover what these files are used for. Just taking a shot in the dark, I thought they were hirigana tables (hr_tbl is repeated throughout the file), but that doesnt really make sense as each character would not need three hirigana tables (in fact there is probably only one or two in the entire game).

The other idea is that perhaps these files are camera paths for each character's super move. This makes a bit more sense to me since there are other random '.seq' files in addition to the characters themselves.

I'll post more if I find anything else

Sercio

yes please post more.... .seq files also included in resident evil 4, with fcv and bin files... fcv files are softimage xsi files but i dont have the 9000$ expensive app^^

Mouser X

Most of the time, when I see "seq" anywhere, it's in relation to music. Like as in, "sequenced" or something. As such, I'd guess it's possible (though, not having the game on hand, I don't know) that these are sequenced music bits, similar to MIDI files (which are also sequenced). That probably doesn't help much, but hopefully it does a little. Mouser X over and out.

athyon

I have Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 and am trying to rip the character's audio files (like when they scream out their abilities), I hvae Game Extractor full version. Could anyone help me on where to locate these fileswithin that game?

Knocks

I have Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 and am trying to rip the character's audio files (like when they scream out their abilities), I hvae Game Extractor full version. Could anyone help me on where to locate these fileswithin that game?

I have also been trying to locate the voice samples in this game. I have been able to unpack the .fpk archives (with quickbms) but not sure which of the extracted files are audio. The folder structure is different from the Wii sequels, and so are the file extensions

For reference, the voice samples in the Wii Naruto games have either a .brstm or .rwav extension and are playable in Windows.