What's new

N64 Rom Images

Azimer

Emulator Developer
This post is for N64 Rom Hackers, or developers who have tinkers with the internals of a Rom image.

I am curious about the structure of a N64 rom image... most importantly where the code is located. I am speculating, the rom starts with code and ends with data. This however could be very wrong considering Nintendo can use whatever format they feel like. However, most rom hackers would understand this, and to them I implore.

SubDrag

Goldeneye and PD are ordered code, then data. Data is in the order of level stuff (clipping/setups), models, then lastly textures. But since the code is copied to RAM then executed, it's tough to follow ROM code. I think ROM code went up to in GE almost 0x400000, where soon after starts level stuff. Oh, and most stuff is compressed in the ROM, although not the code.

I imagine most games are similar.

Last edited:
OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
My intention is to find a similar pattern in all games... hoping for uncompressed code while having compressed data (like levels/textures). I hope to do some HLE function searching from within the ROM image immediately as opposed to doing it while the ROM is DMA'd to RAM to be executed.