What's new

N64 Emulation - Advancement or Death?

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
I have been bored lately. Long ago I made that list that won me the emuxhaven site and got games working. Now, I have been debating on whether or not I should take time to update this thing. It's been awhile, and I see not much has changed. I never really finished, nor have I really done anything to it in quite some time. But I am asking the public should I go back to working on this? Would it be worth my time? Does anyone even still know what it is? Are the advancements in emulation worth documenting? Am I asking too many questions lol? Just curious as to whether I should find a new hobby, or pick up on an old one. I am wondering how "crucial" it is to people. Give me some feedback, or completely ignore this. Either way I'll get my answer :bouncy:

GE Master

Okay sorry, not sure what your project is. However, is N64 emulation dead? I really hope not. So in other words I hope that you keep at it. Regardless of new consoles, the N64 games on the PC are almost ahead of their time if you think about it. The scene has grown a little stale, but Rice is releasing more versions of his plugin and Orkin is working away on his also. Video plugin's are really where emulation on the N64 is capable of more. I've said that for whatever reason I hope that Jabo gets inspired by a plugin that surpasses his. Then perhaps he would be motivated from that. You know, the competitive spirit of sorts. Honestly it would be a shame for the scene to be dying at this point. I'm a player not a programmer, but it would seem that with the power of the processors and video cards that the N64 emulation scene can improve. Nintendo still sells the controllers afterall. Tell me about the project you have though if you wouldn't mind.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I personally have never used your list but I think it does look useful, why stop? the better you make it the more will use it, it does look impressive!

However the name of this thread can easily confuse someone about what you're talking about. GEMaster N64 emulation is not dying, as long as advancement in any field, core.. video or audio is continuing.

Last edited:

Reznor007

I think it would be neat for emu authors to try to run the Seta Aleck64 games or the arcade version of Magical Tetris Challenge. They are N64 based, and the ROM's are available wherever it is that you might find MAME ROM's at.

96SL2er

N64 emulation is anything but dead!! There was a long period where nothing new had happened, when we were using the same version of PJ64 and 1964 with Jabo's 1.5 plugin and Rice's 5.6 plugin, but now that Rice is begun releasing new versions of plugins and now they're are high resolution textures, a new boom of N64 emulation is starting and who knows how long it will be, but I know that there will eventually be a new version of 1964 1.0 released.

-Chad