What's new

mupen64 0.5 for OSX released

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Yup, lamer0 finally found some time to release it, you can donwload it from mupen64.emulation64.com

The binary is compatible with both powerpc and intel OSX.

Kaal-Jhyy

Hi there!

I've just downloaded the Mac OSX version of Mupen64, but I can't mount the dmg... I don't know why, but it seems there's an error in it, or in the sitx archive...
Am I the only one?

Edit: Sorry, in fact, it's just that the sitx archive MUST be opened with Stuffit Expander 10 (I've had the version 9).
I'll do some tests and give you some feedback.

Thanks a lot for this port, cause it seems that between Mac and N64 emulation, it's not a real love story... ;)

Last edited:

Kaal-Jhyy

So, I'm sorry to say that, but the app crashes with every rom I have (and some of them worked with the previous version)...
Some games seem to start - we see the opening logo - and whoop, Mupen64 crashes...

What's happening? Did I miss something?

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Which games start to work and when do they crash ?
Without more information and knowing nothing about the mac port, i'd say it's possible the emulator can't access the save folder.
I'll let lamer0 investigate the problem further.

Kaal-Jhyy

The N64 games I have and tested with Mupen:
- Bomberman 64
- Castlevania (US)
- Fifa 99
- Goldeneye
- Indy & the Infernal Machine
- Mario Kart 64
- Super Mario 64
- Zelda 64
and other Star Wars games...

The weird thing is that the app has created a "de" folder ("de" is the name of the folder), but there's nothing in it.

Kethinov

Hacktarux said:
The binary is compatible with both powerpc and intel OSX.

Fascinating. Did he get one of those Apple x86 dev kits or do newer versions of Xcode support compiling fat binaries from just from a regular PPC Mac?

Keiton

It is nice job, but I don't really see improvements...
Many games still know that Mupen64 isn't a real N64 and speed didn't really increase.
Except that, it DO works well (I hope this will one day replace Sixtyforce, I'm tired of not having quick freezes and sick of the fact that it was abandoned while not supporting Majora's Mask...)

Kethinov

Mupen64 needs fairly fast hardware, and many PowerPC machines just don't cut it. This is one reason why Apple is switching to x86. Last time I tried it on my iBook G4, it ran like ass. For a point of comparison, it runs very nicely on my AMD64 2900 w/GeForce4 Ti 4200 running Linux. I imagine newer Intel based Macs will run Mupen64 very nicely. And I'll bet some of the G5 Mac desktops run Mupen64 very nicely as well.

Last edited:

Cammie33

i tried to load my legend of zelda: ocarina of time rom and mupen64 crashed everytime. i tried mario tennis to and it was so slow i just quit. i can't figure out what's wrong. i've got a powerbook g4, but other than that i have no idea what graphics card or whatnot i have. i've tried those roms with sixtyforce too and they run so slow and freeze and crash. i'm confused.

Flash

Technomage
Cammie33 said:
i tried to load my legend of zelda: ocarina of time rom and mupen64 crashed everytime. i tried mario tennis to and it was so slow i just quit. i can't figure out what's wrong. i've got a powerbook g4, but other than that i have no idea what graphics card or whatnot i have. i've tried those roms with sixtyforce too and they run so slow and freeze and crash. i'm confused.

OS X port of Mupen64 is in early beta stage and dynarec is buggy like hell. (if it works at all) I've got Mario Kart 64 running in pure interpreter mode - MKDD is two times faster on my outdated PC :) and mac mini 1.42 run this game only a bit faster than 400MHz PB G4 w/ crappy 8Mb Rage 128.
So you have to wait.

And video card depends on model of powerbook - http://everymac.com/systems/by_processor/powerpc7400.html