What's new

Movin' Out!

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Well it seems that this Saturday at approx. 1pm (13:00hr) I'm going to be taking all my shit and moving it to my new place, which is a "Long Distance" (see photo below) from my current home.

As this is my first move away from home and I have no furniture or anything else I'm looking toward you, the magic fruit-like people of EmuTalk Forums, for advice and personal experiences of your "First Move" (this is not referring to dating or your first move toward homosexuality).

Thus I request any links to cheap furniture (not ebay) where I can buy stuff, preferably around the Niagara Falls area of Ontario; as well as some things I should be aware of when first moving in.

Jakob

evil *******
If anyone ever tells you that you should visit buffalo.. punch them in the face, it's a terribly boring place, it sucks, it's like watching pain dry while someone cuts off your fingers.

As to cheap furniture, Ikea is very inexpensive and generally fairly solid

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well lets see, some apartments furnish for you at a higher cost. This is good for college students. As for the other stuff, well start with a bed and a desk and a chair and work your way from there.

The most expensive thing you will buy is your matress & box springs so I would look into that first, for the bed you can just get a metal frame on wheels pretty cheap you just set the box springs down on top and then the matress. Or you can get a futon pretty cheap, then you have another place to sit as well, but dont get wood, get metal.

Get a desk you like, however one of the mistakes I made was I got one that had a lot of shelves to put stuff on but as it turns out the slightest bit of water damages the material its made of so I have to be extrememly carefull with drinks and coasters near my computer desk. Be carefull what you get, make sure it can take some damage.

Another mistake I made was getting a leather chair, it ripped pretty quick. Get a comfortable one but get one made with a cloth exterior (cotton, wool, whatever, just not leather).

If you are living by yourself this is all you need right away if money is an issue. You will probably want a dresser but if your money is tight, you can get stackable sterilite boxes with slide out drawers that do the same thing a lot cheaper.
http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=45

Like I said, you only need a place for yourself to sit so one chair is enough but once you have everything else you can consider a sofa and a dining room table and end-tables etc. etc. Just remember start with the necesseties.

Last edited:
OP
Malcolm

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Well, I'm finally there, though there is no power in my apt. :S

Right now I'm using my sisters computer, damn I miss more then 800x600 :p.

As for furnature, my family go together with my friends and now I got a futon, dressor and a crappy desk, all I need for now :p

Only thing I really miss is my dog, high backyard (with tons of trees) and my computer ;)

later

Allnatural

Malcolm said:
Well, I'm finally there, though there is no power in my apt. :S
Why not? Surely you called weeks ago to make sure all of your utilities would be on when you moved in?

Nevertheless, it's nice to be on your own, isn't it? :)

OP
Malcolm

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Allnatural said:
Why not? Surely you called weeks ago to make sure all of your utilities would be on when you moved in?

Nevertheless, it's nice to be on your own, isn't it? :)

When I was getting the cable and/or phone hooked up they found some electrical problem and had to fix it, was done last night but I've been at my sisters place since Sat.

I should have all my shizzit hooked up and running by *sigh* this Saturday, but I must say it is nice to at least _think_ I'm on my own ;)

Last edited: