What's new

Microsoft's turn to shine (in the evil spotlight)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
So, this time it's Microsoft's time to shine in the evil spotlight.
If you haven't heard the story, it goes that October this year, Microsoft published an update to Xbox 360 that when downloaded killed some poor owner's Xbox 360's. Now THAT is embarrassing. I'd image that could happen around launch, but not 11 months later.
Furthermore, Microsoft's response to the whole had been "Send us $140 and we'll fix the thing." Side note here: $140 is very expensive for a console repair. I know how much a GC costs to repair and it's way below that sum.

Well, now one of the owner's of one of the "bricked" consoles has decided to sue Microsoft. Full story here: Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News - Plaintiff’s Lawyer Talks 360 Class Action

Now Microsoft is in deep trouble, it seems. They have evidence that 1) Microsoft HAS acknowledged this problem and 2) that the owner of the console can testify that his console died.
What defence will Microsoft come up with? The article quotes the best quotes of the year: "We're Microsoft, we can do anything." Hah, that's a funny quote. Anyhow, we'll see how this little case turns out. Maybe Microsoft will have to eat their way of doing things.

This is a nightmare for console owners. Just suddenly your console dies. Image that. And it's not your fault--nor is it the console's fault, but Microsoft's, who published the update.

Oh hey, just read this nightmare support: Another Xbox Support Nightmare - Gameworld Network news story
But we all knew Microsoft was Evil(TM), right? ;)

Last edited:

smcd

If you read, it appears most (all?) people getting "bricked" or messing up the update were those who'd modded their console... so if they violate the warranty and terms of service by changing their hardware/software - and an update for a *specific* set of expected hardware/software causes a malfunction it is somehow still Microsoft's fault?

smegforbrain

If you read, it appears most (all?) people getting "bricked" or messing up the update were those who'd modded their console... so if they violate the warranty and terms of service by changing their hardware/software - and an update for a *specific* set of expected hardware/software causes a malfunction it is somehow still Microsoft's fault?

If Microsoft intentionally targetted modded machines, then I wouldn't be surprised if they could be. Indeed, I think they should be at fault.

As the lawyer said: "... The other issue is that our justice system has ways to deal with people who steal software or modify a piece of equipment in an illegal or inappropriate way. [Microsoft] can’t take the law into their own hands".

It's a REALLY bad way to try and handle the situation, and if that's what MS did, and they caught up people, such as the main plantiff in this case, Kevin Ray, who says his 360 was not modded, then MS has screwed up.

But otherwise, the fact that this law firm is jupming at the chance for a class action lawsuit against Microsoft... well, that makes it really hard to tell how severe the problem is and if it's worthy of this kind of response.

@#$%'ing lawyers.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Doom, no offense or anything, but it's getting a little tired seeing anti PS3/360 posts popping up from you.

Trust me, I hate the PS3 as much as anyone, and I'm not as big a fan of the 360 as I am of the Wii, but seriously, could we stop with the console bashing already?

All launches have had firmware update snafus, including the Wii, which had that short period where the network completely stopped working after an update, the point is, it doesn't always need to be posted so it starts an 11 page debate about why this sucks or that sucks, or, if you insist on posting it, can we have it all in 1 thread.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Trust me, I hate the PS3 as much as anyone, and I'm not as big a fan of the 360 as I am of the Wii, but seriously, could we stop with the console bashing already?
It isn't console bashing - it's news that concerns them. And it's fun to read when someone screws up.

All launches have had firmware update snafus, including the Wii, which had that short period where the network completely stopped working after an update, the point is, it doesn't always need to be posted so it starts an 11 page debate about why this sucks or that sucks,
Come on! Some thing are just worth telling others about. Things like the nightmare support was funny.

or, if you insist on posting it, can we have it all in 1 thread.
I don't see an official thread for 360/Rev, only for PS3. Or maybe they're just hidden. If you love to see it in one thread, them I'd be happy to if you would just tell me where you wanted to see it.

Flash

Technomage
Firmware update system is bad thing itself - updater starts to write to flash and oops... power loss. You have very expensive brick.

smcd

Firmware update system is bad thing itself - updater starts to write to flash and oops... power loss. You have very expensive brick.

Indeed. As I do not have a UPS to provide backup power, I always cringe when applying firmware updates to DVD/CD and BIOS especially.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Indeed, stop the console bashing Doom, I don't like the PS3 and I don't hate or the 360, I like the Wii like you; but this news are very old btw

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

This is not console bashing. This is news. Bad news for Microsoft. And why start a new thread when you can revive and old one with the very same topic?