What's new

Metroid Prime CMDL Viewer (still working on it however)

BlueFalcon7

did SkippyJr help you with the compression or something?

Well, anyways, nice job, this is looking promising :)

Any plans for beta releases :D

Shalted

Very Nice work Sarah.

Wish mine was as good as yours (Normals are still off... I can't figure out why), And also I'm feeling lazy, so I'll take the easy way out and ask you about texture placement groups.

Anyway, MREAs are organized in "rooms" like Sarah said. ( The actual term is Binary Space Partitions or BSP, it has to do with rendering effeciency). Any way, a BSP should contain Verts, normals, UVs (as you would expect), but something to look out for would be vertices, an edge list, and a plane list all used for player/world/object collision.

Alliance

Simply beautiful. I cant wait to get those into max and over-haul the materials on them, ah yes modeling each groove by hand and creating custom detail maps for them.

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Using a HalfLife thing wont work as the formats are still completely different.

I just got back from another 2 week absence, but anyway, I've got some texture animation decoded aswell, though still very unsupported, but it's getting there.

As for betas, I'm not sure. I think I'm just going to eventually release a near-completed application. You never know though. And yes, SkippyJr had discovered the compression algorithm.

I also have Material Subsets coded... meaning models such as the MP2 Multiplater suits (which are differnent colors) are actually just one single model, that has material subsets. These have been all read nicely and are now able to hop to different subsets (another example is her In-Game arm cannon, its actually a single model, but uses material subsets)

I've found diffenent types of alphas for the models (some are ADDed, some are 50% opaque, etc).. however I still need to code my viewer to be able to handle these types of alpha

boxing

I've been following this thread again for a while after a hiatus.

"And yes, SkippyJr had discovered the compression algorithm."

This is referring to MP2's 1_ decompression on a file? Can this code be posted? Is it still zlib?

Thanks

thakis

In reply to boxing:

No, Metroid Prime 2 doesn't use zlib compression. I've updated my decompressor, it does now support Metroid Prime 1 & 2. I don't have the mp2 rom however, so the mp2 decompression is not thoroughly tested.

The updated decompressor is attached (as usual, source is included).

boxing

In reply to boxing:

No, Metroid Prime 2 doesn't use zlib compression. I've updated my decompressor, it does now support Metroid Prime 1 & 2. I don't have the mp2 rom however, so the mp2 decompression is not thoroughly tested.

The updated decompressor is attached (as usual, source is included).

Cool. Thanks Thakis (& SkippyJr). I'll test it out in a few days. Just a change from ZLIB to LZO1, nice find.

robert91

wowzors!! could u send that samus model? its great! i got mp1 and mp2 and i always dreamed of using samus in another game on my pc. i would be so happy if i could use it fore a mod. :bouncy: :bouncy: god! so cool.

Last edited:

robert91

well 1st. the mod iam talking aboud is personal :flowers:
and second iam not asking fore a not finished work and its no rom.
and i got both metroid prime games. but just to lazy to convert it. and iam no prof modeller. i got only a friend that can port it to a game. dont worry. wath i make wont be released. just fore fun with friends.

Sercio

anyway those models are copyrighted and illegal to post puplic! Its also against the rules to request copyrighted media...

montyoum00000

I gueess better late than never.

So i've been watchibg this and a few threads to learn more about reverse engineering models.

I'm an experienced animator, and I'l like to get better at modeling for the sake of my movies.

I wonder if Sarah's still around. If so i'd like to ask a few questions.