What's new

Metroid Prime CMDL Viewer (still working on it however)

BlueFalcon7

The empty suit looks awsome! And for some reason the models look not as good with shaders. Maybe a little too bright. Or maybe its just the horrible shader quality in that game.

And hows the compatibility for Metroid Prime 2? Or are the models a little different...
Im not going to be a compatibility nazi.

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

The reason the shaders don't look as good is because they -are- too bright. I haven't implimented gloss maps (control how shiney surfaces are) yet, but I'm currently working on it.
For example, take a look at the Phazon Suit: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3483/phznke1.png the shaders make parts of her suit overstaturated with white, which is wrong. Thus, the gloss map associated with that suit is pretty dark (The darker the pixel, the less bright the shader appears), which is why I'm working on making my app capable of rendering gloss maps. (And btw, I have no idea why her visor is "black" in that image, the Phazon suit is typically the biggest CMDL file in every pak, thus it's a complex beast (lot's of texture animation and what not))

As soon as MetroidPrime2's compression algorithm is cracked, I'll start work on it immediately (that means I havn't looked at the CMDLs in there because they're compressed). However I looked at some Uncompressed CINFs ... and their format is slightly different, but has the basic structure as in MP1. So I'm expecting the same for CMDLs.

Last edited:

SharQueDo

Hey guys, I'm new to this Metroid Prime hacking.

I have basic knowledge of programming, and I learned quite a lot from the pak dumper (pak format) and txtr format.

3D is new for me, though. And I'm wondering how the cmdl and mrea formats work.

Any explanation about the formats would be helpful. =]

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Update:
I have implimented gloss maps in my viewer, thus, it now uses them to render the models even better (models should look almost identicle to the game rendered ones now)
And for BlueFalcon7's sake, I've included a screen of the "Empty Suit" using gloss maps, and the suit not using them: (although, they look better in motion)
Gloss Modulation: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/289/glassmapcompth8.png
No Gloss Modulation: http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5092/emptysuitrq8.png
Oh and I almost forgot, in order to actually see this "final" effect, you'll need an ATI card capable of using OpenGL 1.3+. If you don't have a card greater or equal than this, then you'll have to use my older method of rendering gloss maps (models look a bit more glassy), or perhaps no shaders at all.

Now, this is probly going to be the last update for some time. As my move is right around the corner. I don't know when exactly I'll obtain my connection again, and I didn't exactly get what I wanted to get done for this release. In that case, depending on how much time I have to work on the viewer again after the move, I might release a demo of it as soon as I get back.

Last edited:

Shalted

SharQueDo said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this Metroid Prime hacking.

I have basic knowledge of programming, and I learned quite a lot from the pak dumper (pak format) and txtr format.

3D is new for me, though. And I'm wondering how the cmdl and mrea formats work.

Any explanation about the formats would be helpful. =]

Well, right now due to copyright issues and respect for other people. I/We probably shouldn't give out information on the format. Currently, I have almost the entire format mapped out, with the exception of shader data(getting there though), and face data which Sarah explained to me. But it's taken alot of free time and effort to find values, and figure out how they work and relate to each other.

Anyway, sorry but I shoudn't give out any information about the format, here's a picture though :D.

Zarphus

i have one request actually. a friend of mine has a the ability to convert 3-d items into actual sculpted objects out of various metals or plastics. he has told me he can make me a pendant of that metroid prime screw attack logo [which happens you be your avatar image, sarah] if i can get him a 3-d file of the item. preferably something that can be loaded in 3ds max or autocad. can you help me with this?

on a side note, its very understandable why there would be problems with the arm cannon, as it wasnt fully attached to her mesh. some secret world hunting and a lot of falling in morph ball one time let me kinda pull that arm cannon off of her mesh in-game =P looked weird.

Last edited:
OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Hello agian.
I'm not officially "back" yet, I still don't have internet at my house (I'm using a public computer atm) but I thought I'd let you in on what I've been up to.

First of all, my viewer is now capable of handling ANCS files, meaning models are now FULLY loaded (the Models have the appropriate bones and skin rigs) .. which leads me to that I've found where all the vertex weighting and stuff are, and got that to work nicely. All that remains is the ANIM files now : ) (well, they arn't the -only- thing left, however).

Because of my newfound Skin Rigs, I needed a format to export to that was able to handle this new stuff. Therefore I can now export to .MA (maya's format). With this file, I can export everything associated to a CMDL (including the textures/txtr placements (bascily, I can export Materials)). This took me about 4 days, and I'm still working on it (don't have skin support yet). Now, models export even better than they did with the OBJ exporter (which i've discarded due to it's obsolete-ness), by better I mean that Models don't have some "cracks" in them like they used to (small Normal problem). However, there is a downside. The exporter went from exporting instantaneously, to now having to wait about a 30+ seconds depending on the size of the model. This is because Mayas format is extremely over complicated and I need to perform lots of loop checks to get it to export properly. (Though, the ending result it worth it : ) )

Anyway, I'll bombard you all with screens when I aquire my internet connection again. (Might take a few more weeks still)

Bye for now

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

Its good to hear back from you :)

So basically all you have to do is figure out the ANIM files, and fix the .ma exporter?
And I have another question, will it open the actual worlds? If so, is each section/room a model?

Someone!

Hullo!
SarahHarp said:
Hello agian.
I'm not officially "back" yet, I still don't have internet at my house (I'm using a public computer atm) but I thought I'd let you in on what I've been up to.

First of all, my viewer is now capable of handling ANCS files, meaning models are now FULLY loaded (the Models have the appropriate bones and skin rigs) .. which leads me to that I've found where all the vertex weighting and stuff are, and got that to work nicely. All that remains is the ANIM files now : ) (well, they arn't the -only- thing left, however).

Because of my newfound Skin Rigs, I needed a format to export to that was able to handle this new stuff. Therefore I can now export to .MA (maya's format). With this file, I can export everything associated to a CMDL (including the textures/txtr placements (bascily, I can export Materials)). This took me about 4 days, and I'm still working on it (don't have skin support yet). Now, models export even better than they did with the OBJ exporter (which i've discarded due to it's obsolete-ness), by better I mean that Models don't have some "cracks" in them like they used to (small Normal problem). However, there is a downside. The exporter went from exporting instantaneously, to now having to wait about a 30+ seconds depending on the size of the model. This is because Mayas format is extremely over complicated and I need to perform lots of loop checks to get it to export properly. (Though, the ending result it worth it : ) )

Anyway, I'll bombard you all with screens when I aquire my internet connection again. (Might take a few more weeks still)

Bye for now
All these sound awesome :drool:
I hope you get an internet connection soon :D

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Each world consists of several separete room files. Each of these room models are offsetted to thier world space cords (meaning some rooms may be 177 units away). At the moment, I havn't touched Room files yet, I've looked into them, but havn't done anything. Ill let you know more on this when I do.

I still have to add Skin Clusters to the MA export, and add better support for materials, then the CMDL related export data will be finished.
For CMDLs, I need to still work on Material Definition support, and fix some of the smaller files that don't open.
CINFs work perfectly.
ANCS needs quite a bit of work aswell, but about 60% of them open as they should)

MAJOR Update:
I have burned the pictures to a disc so I can show them.
Here is a pic of the Skin Clusters (Note, I only use so many colors so that means some of them repeat)
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/843/skinrigsb3.png

And here is a picture of everything assembled as it should (it's quite busy)
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7517/cmdlcskrcinfli1.png

And I saved the best for last, here is a little surprised I have planned ; ) (HUGE thanks to SkippyJr : ) )
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9044/mp2cc8.png

Last edited:

Sercio

HOLY....
That looks awesome !!!
Are you working toghether with retro studios???
Only that can answear this great models and knowlegde about metroid models :p

Someone!

Hullo!
SarahHarp said:
Now THAT is what I call sexy
naughty.gif

Sercio said:
Are you working toghether with retro studios???
Only that can answear this great models and knowlegde about metroid models :p
True. :D