What's new

Metal Gear Solid ePSXe

Using the eternal SPU plugin the game sounds fine, but every once and awhile it stutters and then sounds garbled, usually after long speeches. Is there some way to fix this? What settings should I be using for MGS?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Shin_Gouki said:
There are some Games which work really good with ePSXe but Valkyrie Profile CC & MGS always made some trouble ( IMO)
Valkyrie Profile needs 'SPU IRQ - wait CPU action' and 'SPU IRQ - Force interruption flag7' to be enabled in the audio plugin.

For Chrono Cross, ePSXe needs to be started with the -noauto switch, need the odd/even bit hack enabled in the graphics plugin, and needs 'Update before accessing register' in the sound plugin configuration dialog.

As for MGS, I haven't played that game emulated.

PSXEven ftw.

Allnatural

It's been a while, but I recall having more luck with the P.E.Op.S. sound plugin when playing MGS. With either plugin you'll need SPUasync plus the MGS special game fix.

OP

Allnatural said:
It's been a while, but I recall having more luck with the P.E.Op.S. sound plugin when playing MGS. With either plugin you'll need SPUasync plus the MGS special game fix.

I'll try that one, but PEOPS never really sounded very accurate to me when testing other games. I guess I'll try it anyway. I have async enabled but it doesn't seem to help.

OP

WORKS! :D

Okay, now I have a bigger question: using Pete's GPU plugin, what are the best settings to use? Forget speed, I have the system specs for it....so what are the best options to use for the best picture? There are a few options that say "adds garbage" so I'm not quite sure what to enable and what to avoid....

Right now I have everything on extended plus high-resolution scaling etc etc...any tips?

revl8er

That Damn Good
I usually just click on the nice setting, and it looks good. You can also turn on some texture filters. Looking at your gfx card, you can try using pete's ogl2 plugin.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Just use Offscreen Drawing: Extended
Framebuffer effects: Full
Framebuffer upload: Standard
Screen filtering
MDEC filter
Render mode 2
Internal X: High (or Very High if your card works with it)
Internal Y: Very High
Use Pixel Shaders for PSX texture window emulation

I wouldn't go crazy with the texture filter options, Extended + remove black borders should look great with most games.