What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Making Hi-res Textures...discusion thread

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
no way the smae brainfu**. But when i scal up the pic ist works, BUT thats not an good way casue i gave to cordinate the letter new *wallbash*

SO plz can someone of our german user translate me the methode of smoky?

Greets
Wolna

anyway i make good progress, not fast but good ;)

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
is it separtate letters or all the letters on one long texture?

Can you upload your textures or .psd(s) so I can take a look?

Thanks,
Jay

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
it one texture for all letters, i will upload tomorow.

the only problem i have i msut edit the alpha channel. from white to tranprrence as snokey said,

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
hast du das mit antialiasing ausschalten schon probiert?

you already tried with antialiasing to switch off? ;)

Did you already try to switch off anti-aliasing? ;)

Did I get that correct?

BTW: I never edit the "alpha channel"...I do not even know how.

I always use the "_all.png" textures.

Are you using the "_rgb.png" and "_a.png" textures?

Later,
Jay

Last edited:

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
i use for some the all png and for the mos (no animated) ci pngs.

Where i can switch off the AA. Sry bei diesen Thema hänge ich irgendwie, sosnt kapier ich eigentlich schnell -.-

mode7

With text you put it to "kein/none"
With selections you turn it off in the selection options (top) before you make the selection.
This is only to find out if this is the problem, it has to work with AA too.

Bei Text stellst du auf "kein"
Bei auswahlwerkzeug kannst du es bei den Auswahloptionen (oben) ausstellen bevor du was ausschneidest.
Das ist nur um herauszufinden ob es daran liegt.

@gitech: Your german is pretty good ;)

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
yeah i thouth already, that this it msut be (and my english is very bad -.-^^)

BUT no luck, the white dots still there. But i will try now something other. I hope i will have sucess with this.

the problem is i have one texture for all characters *G*

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
sry for DP guys, but is there a script or an action which resize your dumps by automate? like the HiResEasier but without nummering the textures.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
hi,

can you make some more videos of your technology, meaby with my teytur for raiden? casue i do not know how i should retexture the characters.

I will as soon as I can. I just spent the last full day trying to get one video done for my RCGroups.com friends. I'll post it in my thread here when it's done too.

Tip, use google images to search for clothes and materials, then use them like we use the other textures, take pieces of them for paterns, folds and details and blend them together with the "refine edge" tool taking advantave of the "feather" feature. You can use material textures under or over the original texture. What ever looks best.

I'll get to it in a day or two.

Oh, I saw your post and I have some advice. I see some of your letters are cut off a little. You will need to spend a little more time on them to move them around pixel by pixel so none of them get cut off on the edges. Try - selecting one letter, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-ARROW KEYS. This makes the letter a new layer and uses "nudge" to position it pixel by pixel. Of coarse you will have to check the results in game many times.

Take care,
Jay

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Bump...

For those who are new.

There is good info here to get you started including advice on how to get started with "dumping" and organizing.

Take care,
Jay

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Pad the transparent areas with the same color as the opaque area's edges. No 8 of the following guide explains this.

http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6741

In many cases, the gpu will use adjacent pixels from a texture to render a pixel on screen. If you look at the rgb channels of your problematic textures, you'll notice that it has white back ground. Change it to black.

-KoolSmoky

Hi KoolSmoky,

Ah, I just looked at your post again and clicked on the links. Thanks for the info!

I had posted "I don't even know how to edit the alpha channel in photoshop"...but now that I know you were referring to the separate _rgb and _a textures...I take that back...I do know how to do that...and I apologize! ;)

Thank you for your input! It is much appreciated! :)

Take care,
Jay

KoolSmoky

Hi KoolSmoky,

Ah, I just looked at your post again and clicked on the links. Thanks for the info!

I had posted "I don't even know how to edit the alpha channel in photoshop"...but now that I know you were referring to the separate _rgb and _a textures...I take that back...I do know how to do that...and I apologize! ;)

Thank you for your input! It is much appreciated! :)

Take care,
Jay

Hmm, it's difficult to explain this issue without a real texture... I've assisted Mr.Wolna fix his MK4 letter texture over PM. Perhaps he can post the problematic and fixed versions as a reference.

Well, I was trying to give a generic example. Special care is needed for the rgb channels, not the alpha. That is, the rgb channels of the transparent area of a texture must NOT be left untouched.

In case of textures that use separate files for the rgb and alpha channels, such as the _rgb and _a pairs, the _rgb file need to be edited. For textures that has all argb channels, such as the _all files, the rgb channels within the _all file need to be edited.

For some reason, Photoshop is not capable of separately editing the rgb and alpha channels in PNG format. If you are directly editing PNG files, my recommendation is to use Gimp. For Photoshop, use PSD and convert it to PNG afterwards.

-KoolSmoky

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hmm, it's difficult to explain this issue without a real texture... I've assisted Mr.Wolna fix his MK4 letter texture over PM. Perhaps he can post the problematic and fixed versions as a reference.

Well, I was trying to give a generic example. Special care is needed for the rgb channels, not the alpha. That is, the rgb channels of the transparent area of a texture must NOT be left untouched.

In case of textures that use separate files for the rgb and alpha channels, such as the _rgb and _a pairs, the _rgb file need to be edited. For textures that has all argb channels, such as the _all files, the rgb channels within the _all file need to be edited.

For some reason, Photoshop is not capable of separately editing the rgb and alpha channels in PNG format. If you are directly editing PNG files, my recommendation is to use Gimp. For Photoshop, use PSD and convert it to PNG afterwards.

-KoolSmoky

Great info. Thank you!

Is there a situation when the use of the separate _rgb and _a textures has advantages to just using the _all texture?

I have only used the _all textures so far. ;)

On another note:

I have contacted Gonetz and he mentioned that you wrote the code for the texture caching/instant loading for Glide64 HQ, (Sorry I never noticed before :flowers: ) and (I think) some of the other options that Glide64 offers. Did you do the S3TC (DXT/DDS) texture compression as well?

I say this because I would like to ask you if you could join the Aristotle Video team (formerly mudlord rice video), and help them to implement texture caching?

(and possibly some other new functions that could be integrated. I am interested in support for .dds textures, or compression into the S3TC format at least to save on VRAM and improve loading/handling (I think))

Right now Aristotle and Microdev and the primary coders and they are very active and enthusiastic about working on the plugin! They are on version 6.1.8 already and have made great progress! :D But, are stuck on the texture cache thing at the moment. ;)

Here is the link the the dev thread: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I hope to see you there soon! ;)

Take care and have fun,
Jay

any one planning on doing donkey kong 64 hd version or high ress

Geohound? Is that in reference to Grandia??? I love Grandia 1&2! I still want to play Grandia 3 someday and I own the disk, but I never had a PS2 to play it on! That's how much I love Grandia. =]

Hey, you should start a thread about your wishes/intentions with DK64. That would be better than asking in others threads. ;)

Later,
Jay

KoolSmoky

Great info. Thank you!

Is there a situation when the use of the separate _rgb and _a textures has advantages to just using the _all texture?

I have only used the _all textures so far. ;)

On another note:

I have contacted Gonetz and he mentioned that you wrote the code for the texture caching/instant loading for Glide64 HQ, (Sorry I never noticed before :flowers: ) and (I think) some of the other options that Glide64 offers. Did you do the S3TC (DXT/DDS) texture compression as well?

I say this because I would like to ask you if you could join the Aristotle Video team (formerly mudlord rice video), and help them to implement texture caching?

(and possibly some other new functions that could be integrated. I am interested in support for .dds textures, or compression into the S3TC format at least to save on VRAM and improve loading/handling (I think))

Right now Aristotle and Microdev and the primary coders and they are very active and enthusiastic about working on the plugin! They are on version 6.1.8 already and have made great progress! :D But, are stuck on the texture cache thing at the moment. ;)

Here is the link the the dev thread: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I hope to see you there soon! ;)

Take care and have fun,
Jay

I recommend using _all textures because it will load faster.

Perhaps it would be easier if Aristotle and Microdev integrated GlideHQ into RiceVideo.

I wrote GlideHQ as a library for Glide64 Napalm, but it can also be used as a generic library for N64 video plugins. It includes options for texture filtering, caching, hires texture, automatic texture compression to FXT1 or S3TC (DXT) format, etc. Textures are outputted in raw image format that could be loaded in D3D or OpenGL with little or no modification. One of the neat features is the ability to enable use of hires textures on low end gpu, such as the 10 year old 3dfx Voodoo2 with 8Mb VRAM. The source code is posted at the Glide64 message boards. It is platform portable and currently supports Windows and Linux.

-KoolSmoky

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
I recommend using _all textures because it will load faster.

Perhaps it would be easier if Aristotle and Microdev integrated GlideHQ into RiceVideo.

I wrote GlideHQ as a library for Glide64 Napalm, but it can also be used as a generic library for N64 video plugins. It includes options for texture filtering, caching, hires texture, automatic texture compression to FXT1 or S3TC (DXT) format, etc. Textures are outputted in raw image format that could be loaded in D3D or OpenGL with little or no modification. One of the neat features is the ability to enable use of hires textures on low end gpu, such as the 10 year old 3dfx Voodoo2 with 8Mb VRAM. The source code is posted at the Glide64 message boards. It is platform portable and currently supports Windows and Linux.

-KoolSmoky

Awesome! Thank you!

I will post this quote over at the plugin dev thread to give them the idea.

Would you be able to drop in and say hi (and possibly give them advice/tips if they they need it?) It would make my day to see you post there! ;) :D

Thanks again and TTYL,
Jay

steftheserb

Notes for video tutorial and tips for watching:

1. Set your video player to 'repeat' so that it will loop back to the beginning and play again.
2. Why? It really helps and is neat. I have watched it 3 times in a row. It's mesmerizing and dramatic.
3. Turn up the volume. It is very quiet in the beginning.
4. I ripped all of the music and sound effects myself used in this video.
5. It is hard to follow. Watch it as many times as needed. Pause/rewind to catch something you missed, but watch it once all the way through first.
6. This technique is what I use a lot. It is easy once you get a system down and an eye for it. It's like coloring in the lines like when you were a kid and keeps the original look/shape of the original texture.

Majora's Mask Tutorial Video Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GZWKYBGC

Enjoy!

this tutorial is brillint but the problem is gitech was using keyboard shortcuts and i have no idea what he is pressing

could anyone please help out