What's new

make my own emulator?

gamefreaks

Emulators are extremely difficult to program, especially the current generation of consoles.

Firstly, you need to have an in-depth knowledge of C/C++ to code the emulator, asm and the arcitecture of the console you are trying to emulate.

...and most importantly...time, patience and persiverance!!!

If you want to get into emulator programming, start very simple!

vleespet

The decent one
First thing:

- You need to be an experienced programmer. You are experienced for me if you COMPLETELY understand and know the tutorial at www.cplusplus.com. That's the first thing.
- Coding an emulator isn't just adding nice pieces of code and a loader. You need to do a LOT of reverse engineering (many information about the cpu, the loader etc. is explained at http://www.gcdemos.com/lowlevel.htm.
- There are only a few people of the hundreds which succeed coding an emulator. It will take a lot of time and it isn't guaranteed that you will get result after the time, so you need a lot of perserverance.

If you agree to all these terms, start coding your emulator. I'd recommend Visual c++ to code your emu in.

Good luck!

Remote

If you want to play classics it's much easier to use an emu somebody else made, but for the challenge it would be stupid to start with n64 / gc / ps etc.. start small and work your way upp, for exp none is really needed as long as you are dedicated and willing to learn..

search these forums for "chip8" :)

tooie

Why do you want to create an emulator. You will have to want to code and love it, you want to need to expand your skills. You need to like a challenge. If you want to do it for some type of fame, or respect forget it, it the wrong type of motivation. I would say you can go for a harder system, something that is still not emulated well yet, for if you were emulating a NES, SNES, N64, you might get good information and a lot easier to code .. but you get no motivation that your breaking new ground, also it is nice when people follow and look forward to information, this gives you more motivation.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ummm...
to even START coding, you need EXPERIENCE. Which you get from writing an EASY emulator. Emulating next-gen consoles is EXTREMLY hard, and will probably get you nowhere!

Go for something like Chip8->GB->NES or something, well I don't know, but start with Chip8 to get used to programming an emulator and understanding the concept of it.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Doomulation said:
Ummm...
to even START coding, you need EXPERIENCE. Which you get from writing an EASY emulator. Emulating next-gen consoles is EXTREMLY hard, and will probably get you nowhere!

Go for something like Chip8->GB->NES or something, well I don't know, but start with Chip8 to get used to programming an emulator and understanding the concept of it.

and did you finished yours yet ;)