What's new

Majora's Mask: Unemulated Screen Shrinkage

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I've been meaning to do this for some time, finally got around to it the other day. Just feel that it's a nifty enough effect that people who only emulate should see it somehow or another.

Edit: I just noticed that by PURE COINCIDENCE the selection dots are in the same (or extremely close to the same) orientation in every shot. Scaaaaaaary.

First: Full screen (taken last, actually - it occurred to me I might as well take pictures after it had already started! And please disregard the screen's quality, it's better than nothing, and my big screen TV is too reflective to take good pictures).

Last edited:
OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Shrunk once... (edit: Twice. Whoops! Didn't realise I should snap until it was already down twice ^_^; )

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Shrunk four...ce... times... er... forget it. Four steps down. Notice the game's output doesn't even reach the edge of the curved TV screen now, and the text is all squishy? It's neat.

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Azimer said:
How is this shrinkage accomplished? I haven't played Zelda MM much.

I haven't the slightest idea. ^_^;

I just know it looks pretty cool.

On emulators this is the cause of the infamous and much discussed 'black screen and SLOOOOOW at the end of the day' bug... you can hear the gonging on each hour still (which would normally be accompanied by a shrink), but no output.

Edit: Ah, I understand your question now ^^; It's automatically triggered when you approach Midnight on the first two nights. When you're a game hour away from Midnight, you hear a loud BONG! and the screen shrinks one step... and so on every 15 game minutes. Then at midnight exactly, it tells you in one of those neat purple windows that it's now the next day and pops the screen back up to full.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Sorry Tagirenth, don't mean to correct you, but it starts at 5:30AM on Day 1 and Day 2 and ends at 6:00AM when it says "Dawn of the First/Second Day"

Azimer

Emulator Developer
If you could do that with sound. I will investigate and pass it on to those who are doing video plugins. I feel it has something to do with the VI (Video Interface) register settings or perhaps CFB. Just ideas however. Thanks.

Azimer said:
If you could do that with sound. I will investigate and pass it on to those who are doing video plugins. I feel it has something to do with the VI (Video Interface) register settings or perhaps CFB. Just ideas however. Thanks.

OK, here's a 30 sec clip with sound.

Note: It's in two parts.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Afaik, gonetz has made this work with a hack a long time ago.
But I think he'd be the best person to ask around this effect. And motion blur too ^^ Gonetz you be my favorite!

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
In my development version of Glide64 this effect works the same as in URAMetroid's movie, only 2 times more slow because of frame buffer reading. In previous versions it was not emulated, I just removed black screen which caused by uninitialized framebuffer.