What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Macphisto's hi-res Banjo-Kazooie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

macphisto

Anybody that asks a question like that has no idea just how big a project like this is. There are literally thousands of textures in a game like this, and between work, school, and sleep, there are only so many hours in a day to work on these things. IMO it would take at least six months to complete a pack, and that's with a major daily time commitment. So chill and he'll finish in time.

That's true. Even if I did have a lot of spare time, it would still take ages. This game is massive in terms of the amount of areas there is to texture. Not only this, but the game doesn't always repeat and use a texture that I've updated, even if it is the same texture to look at and if it's in the same area. I plan on releasing packs level by level as the size of the retextured game is going to be somewhere well over 100 mb or more. Once I complete one more level, I will release individual packs and what I've done of the Grunty's Lair.

Akasagi

Apprentice
Personally, I hope it takes as long as it needs to. I love the pace and quality of the project! Take your time, man. The more the better... just as long as its not a few years.. :p

Last edited:
OP
M

macphisto

cheers!! hip hip hooray! any estimate when that will be? days? weeks?

Rest assured, once I've got a decent amount of Rusty Bucket complete and up to standard, then I'll release it along with Mad Monster and roughly a 35% complete Grunty's Lair pack. Work has slowed down a little on it, but I'm chipping away at it little by little.

OP
M

macphisto

so once you release it, how much of the game would you say the game would be retextured

Roughly around 35-40% if even. There are currently three levels almost fully retextured and around just under half of Grunty's Liar.

OP
M

macphisto

For some reason, F12 didn't want to take more screens for me, so it's only these two of Rusty Bucket so far. Some tiling issues, but those will be sorted.

Omegagodly

you did a great job macphisto. i just downloaded the files, and their looking great. i have one question for you tho, i know im a noob at retexturing and you probably dont want to hear this, but what do you do to retexture a file? import it into photoshop and apply "filters"? could you explain to me this in better detail.
p.s. sorry for being a noob.

OP
M

macphisto

you did a great job macphisto. i just downloaded the files, and their looking great. i have one question for you tho, i know im a noob at retexturing and you probably dont want to hear this, but what do you do to retexture a file? import it into photoshop and apply "filters"? could you explain to me this in better detail.
p.s. sorry for being a noob.

I usually open Photoshop, then I drag and drop a texture from either PNG. folder in the texture dump folders. Depeneding what size the texture is (large covering textures in the game are usually 64x64 by default) I expand the size by up to 8 times. This usually enables me to work the texture so that I can see what I'm doing when adding detail and such. I usethe artistic filters and apply a paint/ dry brush filter to clean the poor anisotropic filtering of the original N64. I then anisotise it with the stylise option. From here I can blend other textures into the original one by using the blending tools or by chopping and changing textures about by adding layers. Once I'm happy with a layer, I save it so it locks. You must save it as a PNG. though, and with the same file name as the original. If you're looking to make changes still, save it to another location than the folder that it's stored in. Once I do this, i resize it back the 4 times the original N64 texture then sharpen it up so that it looks hi-res in game. Too sharp and it will look distorted with artifacts.

Take note that the packs on this thread are early work using simple filters. I've since used more advanced blending and filtering to make more detailed textures.

I've not done any work in a few weeks due to obvious reasons. I'll release all work in due time.

Last edited:

Akasagi

Apprentice
Wow... its all looking real nice, Macphisto! I have to say, this is one of the few projects I really keep on checking for! :satisfied:

OP
M

macphisto

I've released a pack to show more of the more advanced textures I've been adding to this game. It's on the first page. Bear in mind that some of the textures wer experimental in places, like the animated sand at the entrance to Gobie's needs redone.

Omegagodly

thanks for the reply macphisto. i appreciate the work you are currently doing as this is one of the only projects still being worked on. its looking great!

EDIT:: by the way does the pack on the front page include the 6 wip packs on the post acouple below it.

Last edited:
OP
M

macphisto

EDIT:: by the way does the pack on the front page include the 6 wip packs on the post acouple below it.

No. A few of those textures will be revised and redone and that's why I left them out. They are basically just the original texuteres filtered. The pack I released contains more custom made ones based on the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.