What's new

Linx -Wine

tooie

I have not played with linux yet, just learning a little about it, hopefully soon I will install it.

I find a lot of refrences to Codeweaver's CrossOver Office for running office .. what about wine, it does not run it at all .. what is the issues with wine ?

Slougi

tooie said:
I have not played with linux yet, just learning a little about it, hopefully soon I will install it.

I find a lot of refrences to Codeweaver's CrossOver Office for running office .. what about wine, it does not run it at all .. what is the issues with wine ?
Well, wine in fact does run MS Office, at least 2000 and xp, but it does require rather a lot of fiddling and is not guaranteed to work. If you buy crossover office you get support, and if it does not work you have someone to blame. Crossover office uses some wine technology IIRC.

OP
tooie

tooie

Ok so cross over is not really better at all .. just made easier to install and use .. I take it then wine in general is very fidely and got a big learning curve ?

Slougi

tooie said:
Ok so cross over is not really better at all .. just made easier to install and use .. I take it then wine in general is very fidely and got a big learning curve ?
Yes. The problem is that the win32 api is not completely replicated yet, and large parts do not quite behave like windows. It can be a pita to get something to work, as you can also use dll files from windows, instead of using the ones that come with wine. Some programs require this, some don't work that way etc. Crossover is simple and always works. In general once you get something to work well with wine it will continue to work fine though. So it really is just a pita to get something running, once it runs it usually does so very well. Same goes for winex (wine fork with improved directx support).