What's new

Linux 'CD only' distribution

zorbid

I'm looking for the distribution of linux that can fully boot from the CD, no need to install it.

Usually, I'm able to find this kind of stuff by myself, but I've been looking for it for almost an hour with no success.

Thx for your help. :)

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
go to http://www.linuxiso.org
and download suse demo cd
that's the only thing you can get, an os is not designed to run from a cd.
It will install a preference file of 100 Mb at the root of c:\ but that's all. Hope that it will help you.

Slougi

You could try Tomsrtbt as well, but that is on floppy. I think the gentoo install cd would do the trick as well.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
gentoo install cd is a wonderful boot disk. Gives basic kernel support, and has the ability to load modules for common devices, it also has all the common commands installed :)

Slougi

Yeah, if u can get it to boot ;) I can't get it to boot on my pc, so i always use Tomsrtbt. It's a pretty common problem, you can see this a lot on the gentoo forums. I hope they fix it in the next release.

OP
zorbid

zorbid

The problem with Gentoo is that my modem (Alcatel Speed Touch PC (PCI)) has no linux dirvers... I want to try Linux before I buy new hardware...

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I know that some winmodem have drivers directly written by manufacturer. You can check alcatel web site if they have the magical thing :p

OP
zorbid

zorbid

I've already checked :( They have linux drivers for usb and ethernet modems, but nothing for the PCI one. I didn't care about Linux when I bought it, and it was cheaper:sleepy:.

Thanks for your help, anyway,:) I'm gonna have a try with the Suse demo CD. I'm going to set up a web server, but I want to learn basic things before I buy anything...

Slougi

Hmm, setting up gentoo without broadband can be a pain ;) Especially KDE took around a day to download :p Stick to one of the distros that have all of this on CD....

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
very true, when i setup Gentoo for the first time I had to download 1.3 gigs b4 i had everything installed that i actually needed.

Got rid of gentoo, just didn't find it a great enough OS to wait 10-15 mins for a app to dl and compile when i could get an rpm from a reg distro and install it in less then 30 sec.

Also i didn't have source files scattered around my HDD, which saves me frustration going through make files searching for the directories ;)