What's new

keyboard problem

Lord_Jeremy

Hey, me again. As yet I have been unable to find the default button for the B button :). As you could imagine, this is hindering my ability to play games. When I press the Config button for Pad DirectX9 the ChangeNumPlayers dialog pops up and the config window never appears. When I switch the plugin to PadSimple I can configure new controls but as soon as I press OK the program crashes. (And when I reopen Dolphin its set back to Pad DirectX9) I have a laptop with a reduced keyboard so I'm wondering if the default B key is on my keyboard...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The default plugin assumes that you have a Gamepad. It does not support the keyboard. AFAIK, Pad Simple is the only plugin that supports keyboard input, and if that crashes, you are SOL.

OP
L

Lord_Jeremy

That doesn't sound right. I can use the keyboard for moving, using the C-stick, pressing the triggers, and pressing A, X and Y... The only gamepad I own is a wired XBox 360 controller that I use with my N64 emulator. Judging from other posts, I gather that this controller won't work?

Agozer

There are three input plugins. The first is the default one that only accept gamepads. The second should accept keyboard as well, but shows the ChangeNumPlayers error. The third, PadSimple, is a very basic plugin that accepts keyboard input.

Does the emulator come with any documentation? If said documentation exists and is properly written, then it should list the default controls as well. But reflecting what I said earlier, if you are unable to configure your controls, because the plugins crash, you are pretty much SOL.

An X360 controller should work with the default default input plugin. Then again, I'm not the expert here.

P.S. Do you have a 64-bit OS?

Last edited:
OP
L

Lord_Jeremy

All I know is that when I open up the settings window, there are two plugins in the inputs list, Pad DirectX9 and Pad Simple, with Pad DirectX9 always selected. There is no documentation with default keys, as far as I can tell. I have Vista x64.

Agozer

Hm. I only have a 32-bit Windows XP so I can't tell if the default one (forgot the name) has been omitted from the x64 build. I can't find any good reason why the devs would have done that though.

In short, I can see 3 different plugins, while you only see 2, neither which are particularly good, but offer keyboard input. Still, the plugins crashing shouldn't (obviously) happen at all. I can't help you from this point onwards, as there could be any number of reasons why they crash. If I'd be a complete dickhead, I'd say that that's what you get for using Vista, but I can't do that, now can I?

Last edited:
OP
L

Lord_Jeremy

What's the default plugin called? Apparently nJoy hasn't been recompiled for x64. And I am utterly hating Vista. The only reason I'm using it is because the only 64 bit drivers for my wireless and video cards require Vista...

OP
L

Lord_Jeremy

Ah, that explains why I don't have the default. Pff. Well, I just discovered a text file in the Dolphin folder that appears to contain ascii values for the keyboard layout. I'll try screwing with that.