What's new

Issues with running Resident Evil 2 on PJ64 1.6...

qap_98

Issues with running Resident Evil 2 on PJ64 1.6. First off this game runs exceptional well on pj64. I am using a pentium III machine with 256 ram and it runs like a charm. Two issues the sound dont work and the FMV movies show a blank screen. I am using the defaualt jaboo settings can anyone help me out.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you'd bother to read the notes on the Rom Browser window, you'd know tht RE2 has issues. Serious issues.

The best graphics plugin to use (at the moment anyway) seems to be Glide64 with Hacktarux's wrapper. As for sound, there was some SPU plugin that emulated the sound in RE2 pretty well, bu its name escapes me.

Bucket

Agozer said:
If you'd bother to read the notes on the Rom Browser window, you'd know tht RE2 has issues. Serious issues.

The best graphics plugin to use (at the moment anyway) seems to be Glide64 with Hacktarux's wrapper. As for sound, there was some SPU plugin that emulated the sound in RE2 pretty well, bu its name escapes me.

That would be Azimer's Audio Plugin http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=27614.

But the problem is, but you will still get problems with the sound, but not as much if you weren't using the Azimer's audio plugin.

Also the best Glide64 plugin is the Glide64 wonder plus.
http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/downloads.php

Another graphics problem is that the characters will appear infront of things which they aren't suppose to be, you check the depth buffer render box in the graphics options to sort this problem out. The problem with depth buffer render even on the high end PCs it will make the game run really slow.

TBH, if you really want to play RE2 properly, try playing it on a PSX emulator, such as ePSXe 1.6 and a Playstation version of RE2. As the N64 version used alot of compression technology which makes it harder to emulate.

Last edited:

Cukeman

Yeah...there was no change in audio at all for me when I used the audio plugin. Still no dialog whatsoever. There was for 2 seconds and that was it. I think I'll try the PSX idea, but I don't know anything about running ISO's.

Bucket

Cukeman said:
Yeah...there was no change in audio at all for me when I used the audio plugin. Still no dialog whatsoever. There was for 2 seconds and that was it. I think I'll try the PSX idea, but I don't know anything about running ISO's.

Running ISO's is quite simple after you first done it.
With epsxe there is quite different amount of ways of doing it.

1) Mount the ISO with a virtual drive such as daemon tools and select the correct virtual drive in the plugin options and then go to File, Run CDRom in the emulator. (For this method I recommend the P.E.Op.S. CDR plugin.)

2) Burn the ISO to a CD and select the CD drive in the plugin options and go to File, Run CDRom. (Once again for this method I recommend the P.E.Op.S. CDR plugin.)

3)Or download CDRMooby and go to Run CDRom and find the ISO image and click OK. Kind of like how you use a Rom in Project 64.

TBH, I prefer method 3), because I put all the images onto a DVD and run the games off the DVD.

Cukeman

Bucket said:
Running ISO's is quite simple after you first done it.
With epsxe there is quite different amount of ways of doing it.

1) Mount the ISO with a virtual drive such as daemon tools and select the correct virtual drive in the plugin options and then go to File, Run CDRom in the emulator. (For this method I recommend the P.E.Op.S. CDR plugin.)

2) Burn the ISO to a CD and select the CD drive in the plugin options and go to File, Run CDRom. (Once again for this method I recommend the P.E.Op.S. CDR plugin.)

3)Or download CDRMooby and go to Run CDRom and find the ISO image and click OK. Kind of like how you use a Rom in Project 64.

TBH, I prefer method 3), because I put all the images onto a DVD and run the games off the DVD.

Actually, no sooner did I make that last post, I went and downloaded ePSXe cuz I had found an old ISO I had downloaded a year ago (the beta version of Resident Evil 2) and it worked the same way as a ROM...I just picked File>Load ISO, chose it, and it worked. Although the game did move very fast (tolerably fast, but still fast)...but I wasn't sure if that was due to it being a beta version or if it was the emulator. I'll have to download the ISO to an actual finished game to see what's up.

Thanks though.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
It helps to enable the frame limiter in the graphics plugin configuration, you know.

Droshi

In the graphics options on ePSXe, there is a field that needs to be limited to 60 FPS for the games to run normally. It should fix the problem.

Cukeman

Yep it did. When I tried Silent Hill and it did the same thing, I knew it wasn't just a characteristic of RE2 Beta being an unfinished game. Thanks.