What's new

Is there any way to make my N64 games look better? Maybe a SVGA adapter.

dreampolice

After playing N64 games on emulators for so long, when I play them on TV with my N64 they just look like crap. I was actually thinking of getting the N64 SVGA adapter. Does this clean up the edges and make things look better? Thanks for the help.

minkster

Well it matters what kind of TV you are using....for instance an HDTV can go up to high resolutions and make things look clearer. Also anti-aliasing makes edges smoother I think.

CanSee

Depressive freak
minkster said:
Well it matters what kind of TV you are using....for instance an HDTV can go up to high resolutions and make things look clearer. Also anti-aliasing makes edges smoother I think.

The TV really does stretching the resolution?
But dunno if that would really help. It's not always good to see things clearer when they're ugly already.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Gee, I fail to see how it looks better on the computer :plain:
It looks extremely much better on the tv because of the fsaa effect, which I can't seem to get on the computer :/
Is it truly that much better on the computer?

Acorn

Affirmative doom! In fact, even when I have access to an N64, I'll sit it aside and pipe games out to the TV through an emulator, because of the difference in clarity and quality (and savestates, etc... though thats different!)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Can't see how. The only good things of the emulators are the save states. Hit f5. Close pj. Open pj. Hit f7. Play.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Doomulation said:
Gee, I fail to see how it looks better on the computer :plain:
It looks extremely much better on the tv because of the fsaa effect, which I can't seem to get on the computer :/
Is it truly that much better on the computer?
you must have some shitey card or using a Shitey Plugin doom :p

I play console and PJ all the time and i have to say Emulator on TV Out beats the Console every time for Quality of Picture.

Also with PJ the another advantage is cheating on the fly; IE being able to enable and disable cheats while you play Vs the real console and a AR or GS Cart which you can only enable before you start playing and to disable you would have to turn the console off and then restart and then go to the list of codes in your AR Or GS and disable/enable codes to use from that point.

Doomulation said:
Can't see how. The only good things of the emulators are the save states. Hit f5. Close pj. Open pj. Hit f7. Play.
And yes Quick Saves and Loads of course makes playing a hell of alot better.

Last edited:

MasterShake

Celebrity Pharmacist
Doom, there is no fsaa on a TV using an N64. that's called a blurry picture. It makes the edges seem a little less sharp at the cost of decreased readability and maybe even a little strain on the eyes. The N64 would have to be twice as powerfull and have a video card that probably didn't exist at its' time to do fsaa.

Oh by the way dreampolice, If you buy an SVGA adapter and plug it into your monitor it may look a little sharper but it will still be at the N64 native resolution of 640*480 or lower. It certainly will not smooth the edges, as it is just an adapter. You are already viewing the N64 at it's highest resolution on your TV, you may be a little dissapointed with that adapter.
:homestar:

Last edited:

arablizzard2

Ummm not quite... the native resolution for most (most is used lightly in this case, there are some 2d games that go a little higher from what I've heard) nintendo 64 games is 320x240 (the resolution of a VHS tape) the expansion pack *can* increase the resolution for games that support it but I don't think it would be any higher than 352x480 (the highest possible resolution that a RCA or S-Video cable can provide, it's also the broadcasting resolution for most TV Stations). The supposed resolution for a tv is 640x480, but seeing how there is no way to get a signal with that resolution (unless you have a high definition tv, but then technically it would be stretched to 1024x768, but the n64 was designed before RGB cables really hit the market so that whole theory fails as you cannot connect a RGB cable to a n64)...

I don't see the point of getting an SVGA adapter (SVGA is actually 800x600 by the way... VGA is 640x480) that just captures the 352x480 (which is actually a stretched 320x240) signal and stretches it to fit onto a computer screen (which doesn't have the natural "bluring" a tv does, that's why dvd's always look better on a TV rather than a monitor, you can't see the compression blocks as easily on a tv). Plus there is the fact that unless the converter does some type of color conversion the image will appear distorted (different Red Green and Blue values between the two for things like black and white).