What's new

is there an N64 emulator with a touchscreen joystick for the DS lite?

alexshannon97

figured i would ask. really i just want to know if i can retexture OoT and MM and some other N64 games to have better graphics and play it on my DS lite and not need to get the 3DS ports?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The Nintendo DS is nowhere near as powerful as Nintendo64 emulation would require it to be.

Last edited:
OP
A

alexshannon97

that's odd. esp since there are several DS ports of N64 games. can i use a browser to access my PC and the emulators?

Toasty

Sony battery
Emulators written for a PC will not work on a DS. As a rule of thumb, running a game through a (highly optimized) emulator requires about an order of magnitude more processing power than was available on the original console. The DS is not even as powerful as the N64, so definitely not feasible.

Agozer

Those pots are ports specificially coded from the ground up for the DS. They are not the actual, original N64 games made to run on another hardware. The only thing that these ports share with the original games are the art and sound, and even these assets have been modified to a degree to fit the DS.

Last edited:

smcd

Well there is a ds vnc application to access a pc, but it would be terrible for trying to game :) What about maybe just using the ds as a controller? ds2key

OP
A

alexshannon97

i want to use the DS as a controller and a viewer, having the action on the upper screen and the joystick and all buttons that aren't on the DS on the touchscreen

Toasty

Sony battery
alexshannon97 said:
i want to use the DS as a controller and a viewer, having the action on the upper screen and the joystick and all buttons that aren't on the DS on the touchscreen
Okay, this is mostly doable, but you will have to perform a few modifications to your DS to make it work. Make sure you have a clear space to work and a phillips screwdriver. First, you need to remove all of the components from the top and bottom panels on the DS. In addition you will need to remove the hinge that held together the top and bottom panels. (If you prefer, you may leave all of these components connected to one another.) Set them off to the side.

Next, you'll need a laptop that was manufactured some time within the past ten years or so that is still in working order. (You can find these on eBay or Craigslist, but caveat emptor.) Open it, place it on your workspace and carefully insert it into the void where the components you removed from your DS were. (Assuming you removed all of the parts you were instructed to, it should fit without being forced.) Now, power on the modified DS using the laptop's power button and install the PC version of the emulator you want to use onto the modified DS. You should now be able to use its top screen for viewing and the bottom panel for controls.

OP
A

alexshannon97

no chance. my DS is under warranty and i will not mod it. the only DS i will mod is a DS fat, not my special edition Chrystal white Japanese import.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The closest thing to what you want (which I assume is a portable n64) is a hacked PSP running an emulator or the Open pandora... but with those things aren't exactly perfect, lets just say their compatibility is somewhat lacking.

OP
A

alexshannon97

of course that is impossible. that's the most insane idea for a portable console since someone pitched me their idea for the portable dedicated arcade console with a PSone screen stead o the CRT monitor, and an xbox controller!

seriously, will open pandora work with an N64 emulator, and a texture swapper?

Agozer

OpenPandora has a port of Mupen64 Plus. I don't know about custom texture support. Probably it doesn't have those plugins ported over.