What's new

is n64 emulation dying?

rcgamer

the old guy
this board has been pretty much dead lately. no plugin updates or emulator updates in a while. is the scene dying? has everyone started to switch to newer systems to emulate?

Allnatural

It does seem that way doesn't it? N64 emulation is still far more important to me than any of the next-gen systems. I'm sure that someday, somebody will come along and reinvigorate the scene. No offense to the current emulators and their authors, but I'd like to see something completely new.

Trotterwatch

Well Orkin is apparently still working on his plugin, and Rice and Schibo have done somethings to 1964 too from what I read a while back. A few other authors are still doing little things here and there too AFAIK.

Poobah

It'd be cool if there was a ZSN64. ZSNES has to be the greatest, fastest, and most complete emulator ever.

Allnatural

It'd be cool if there was a NestopiaN64, or a KegaFusionN64, or better still, MAMEN64. That'd be awesome.

gandalf

Member ready to help
hacktarux is still working in his emu/ wrapper.
Gonetz too,the last N64 update was of the Glide 64 0.7 SP 8
I like to have some orkin´s news in the progress in his great video plug-in

OP
rcgamer

rcgamer

the old guy
the best would be a meka64 . mekaw is the best emulator , bar none. even if the system it emulates wasnt that popular.

oh and you guys should try ubernes. its awesome.

Allnatural

rcgamer said:
the best would be a meka64 . mekaw is the best emulator , bar none. even if the system it emulates wasnt that popular.
I prefer FreezeSMS. I never cared for Meka's GUI, though the emulation quality is no doubt quite good.

loopsider

If anything could be done, it would be an option to overclock the emulated CPU, as in chankast. That would eliminate emulated constant slow-down on games such as Extreme G-2, Re-volt, Jet Force Gemini, ToyStory2(many others). The slowdown is pure emulation slowdown, as it copies the slowdown as a n64 would; shows the perfection of emulation, but it's TOO perfect.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
loopsider said:
If anything could be done, it would be an option to overclock the emulated CPU, as in chankast. That would eliminate emulated constant slow-down on games such as Extreme G-2, Re-volt, Jet Force Gemini, ToyStory2(many others). The slowdown is pure emulation slowdown, as it copies the slowdown as a n64 would; shows the perfection of emulation, but it's TOO perfect.
hmm, good idea

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
loopsider said:
ALready is there! That's the CF option. But the N64 emus do that in a better game related way!

loopsider

MasterPhW said:
ALready is there! That's the CF option. But the N64 emus do that in a better game related way!

Nah the counter factor doesnt necessarily give me the results. If I could go straight into the CPU clock and move it up to say, 120% (like chankast), Im sure Re-volt would no longer chop.

ggab

Emutalk Member
Input & Video plugins has been updated :)

Special Thanks to:
MadManMark (now releasing updated N-Rage 1.83)
Rice (now releasing v5.9.9)

Gonetz (a new version with nice new features will be arriving in some months) [and Hacktarux's wrapper too] ;)
Orkin will be working again in his great DX9 plugin (we hope that) in a near future....

don´t forget Olivieryuyu and Federelli -> both 1964 (for Glide64) & Nemu64´s INI files
and Clements in the PJ64 one.

PS: BigHead has done a nice N64 Emulation Configuration List v2.8 :)

Regards, GAB. - Merry Xmas :p

Trotterwatch

loopsider said:
Nah the counter factor doesnt necessarily give me the results. If I could go straight into the CPU clock and move it up to say, 120% (like chankast), Im sure Re-volt would no longer chop.
Perhaps if you did that, it'd just chop at a faster rate? ;)

loopsider

Trotterwatch said:
Perhaps if you did that, it'd just chop at a faster rate? ;)

Dont know exactly what you are referring to, but if it is what I think it is: yes it would work. If the parts that slowdown are due to the limitation of the N64's emulated CPU (meaning they get to 100%-concluded by the fact that they slowdown on the real n64 as well!), then programming a higher limitation would take away the chops.

Im only comparing this to dreamcast, the two could be different.

Trotterwatch

If the timing is the problem though, then speeding up the rate of emulation will only serve to mess the timing up further?

I know what you mean about increasing CPU speed though - like Chankast with the CPU rate increasing ability.

knowitman

Even though there hasn't been a new emulator release in a while the plugin scene is very actice as ggab just showed you. It isn't near dying, yet.