What's new

i'm just curious

noals

im just curious about how emu programing work, i cant understand how people can find out a bios.
how do they do ?

gunder

Well, it starts out by finding and reading all the technical documents about the hardware that you can. I'm probably not the best person to explain this since I'm still working on my first emulator. I recommend you check out the chip8 thread. It seems to be the easiest system ever to emulate. If you read through it you should get a farily decent understanding of how it works. Perhaps you should try to write one, the chip8 seems very easy.

-gunder

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
im just curious about how emu programing work, i cant understand how people can find out a bios.
how do they do ?
A lot of insane guesswork and reverse engineering. The programming part isn't to hard, it's just finding out how everything is supposed to work that is. I can't really answer your question much more than that, because I've only written emulators of systems that are very well documented. I've never had to reverse engineer anything.

OP
noals

noals

so, you must know what's in a console and emulate all stuff in it.
damn ! how possible ?!
for exemple, i want to do a ps2 emulator. the ps2 have a "CPU: 128 bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294 MHz (later versions 299 MHz), 10.5 million transistors" so i must emulate that, knowing how it work with all other stuff witch i must emulate too...
damn ! lol

and for the other "bios", i mean the menu when you start the emulateur, there are no one for the old console but for the new like dreamcast or saturn, ps2, ... when you lauch the console, there is a menu screen.
does the programmer reprogramme all that too ?

i thought the programmer ripped somehow stuff from the console.

Perhaps you should try to write one, the chip8 seems very easy.
i dont know programming ^^; i was just curious about the thing
maybe one day but it's a lot af work to start learning C/C+ or so.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
and for the other "bios", i mean the menu when you start the emulateur, there are no one for the old console but for the new like dreamcast or saturn, ps2, ... when you lauch the console, there is a menu screen.
does the programmer reprogramme all that too ?

i thought the programmer ripped somehow stuff from the console.
Yes, that kind of stuff, boot roms, bios, etc is usually ripped. Programmers recreate of the cpu interprets machine code, and how it affects all the other components of the system and how the data/registers/memory are manipulated.