What's new

iDeaS + DeSmuME src = providence

Low Lines

Everybody post some positive thread here so those crappy ones get put to the back okay??
:bouncy:
I'm a little sick of all the bad stuff that's been floating around here lately, so I want to put a little bit of good in here as well as to imform those new to the scene or have been kept away from a computer screen for a long time...

First of all, DeSmuME sadly is no longer in action due to legal reasons for the Author YopYop, but it's too late to start crying now because everything must move on.

As it is, Lino has a copy of the source code used to make such a competitive emulator and hopefully he will make some sense of it and improve his own work. There has been talk of combining emulators, but they were all treated as dumb statements, yet now it seems it might become true.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sure something good will come of it, even if Lino and Evrain decide to lock out commercial roms from their emulator entirely, I'm sure that some of those nasty little problems Evrain has been telling us about will be resolved (fingers crossed).

The next best thing we can hope for is that another DS emu rises to compete with iDeaS (as DeSmuME is now dead)...I do wonder, will there be another crazily insane fast improving emu that comes out of the blue to fight or is one of those silent sleepers that we all know about suddenly explode onto the emu scene??

I for one still (as before) have high expectations for Dualis because even though it does not support roms, in a lot of ways it IS more stable (as many of these threads have stated) than any emu that does run roms.

Anybody else got anything positive and perhaps enthusiastic to add to this??
:unsure:

ninja1

well finnaly a nice post :D, and about dualis, i totally agree with ya, it got more emulated looking at the source code as desmume did... It is just the author that is not really wanting the emu yet to run commercial roms :(

And other emulators could always be out there, especially since the desmume source code was released and am sure several people are looking at it and the possibility of making a nice running emulator but only time will tell i guess what will happen to the emulators of the nds.

takas

well, why does everyone pay so much attention to those stupid posts anyway.

i think a lot of "nice" people are following the emulation-scene who are not active members of any board but appreciate the work as much or even more. i hate to see to see programmers go crazy about a few 12 year old shit-talkers while there are thousands(millions?) of people they make happy with their work!

iDeas-Team, keep up the good work!!!

diablow

It's only matter of time when there will be a very compatible emulator, that allows to play all roms ;)
As for me - it would be nice to have an emulator that runs homebrew stuff and official demo games.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
For official demos a good 'ol Supercard is always a fine choice.
Anyway, the point is always the same: Lino is looking at the source, hopefully I'll soon see the results of the "merging" and evaluate the situation. According to my roadmap, this source should give us enough information to successfully complete the 2D part (and maybe get some speedups up and running. They were already there in 08, but I decided to lock them out, I didn't really liked them since they were just a crude frameskip 4, I might add them back as Lino makes a proper menu voice, whereas Desmume enabled them internally) and finally move on full time on 3D and save management, unless Lino has already done the latter during the week.

As for the posts I've seen lately, let me clarify one thing: there will be NO iDeaSmume or crap like that, the idea of a Frankenstein built specifically for "making all ROMs run" makes me sick. Everything at its pace, the DS isn't even 3 years old! We are looking at the source released by a fellow scener, and it will be used to make proper fixes and improvements, but as LL said, it will not be to allow you to play Nintendogs without laying your hands on a real console. Be patient, enjoy the real thing before resorting to the emulator, it's even way cheaper than a PSP.
Evrain

ninja1

i do wonder whut is so good about games like nitendogs anyway T_T, boohoo another stupid game where ya gotta raise a pet T_T, gogo tamagochi? T_T... and dont know about mariokart but.... seeing how much it changed pre nds...i doubt it will be much different as it was on nintendo gamecube (for me anyway :p)

and nice that ya atleast try to keep us psoted a bit about whut ya doing out there with the emulator :),

ps ya might wanna try to contact mic about the sound plugin thingy, he got it running almost perfectly :), if ya want that atleast lol (open source i think too)

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Someone has developed a sound plugin? I wasn't aware of that.
And don't talk too lightly about Nintendogs: girls are driven crazy by it. Literally, since I broke up with mine in a most bloody (metaphorically :p) way. I'll have to get back at Iwata :D
Evrain

proffessor_Gad

"iDeaS + DeSmuME src = providence "

Please allow me to restate that... *Clears throat*

iDeaS + concepts and code used in DeSmuMe = better iDeaS :drool:

OP
L

Low Lines

just trying to be optimistic, not making any crazy out of this world accusations...I wanted a subject title that was as positive as I could make it, I know there ain't going to be no "merging" cos programming isn't really all that different as to sharing work with friends, I mean you could look at one another's assignment and get ideas in which you could improve your own or add in something that you were missing...you can't just merge the whole thing together and hand it in or else the teacher will get real mad and probably fail you. Same sort of thing when you think about it...

What's this? Dualis is emulating sound? The emulator is most definitely underrated...Isn't this exciting?
:bouncy:

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
I see emulation as a different perspective rather than somthing to just playing games. Hard to describe really. And yes. DS is new, it is hardly a classic so why should people get so antsy about an emu now? o_O With that aside I do actually like the idea, not as a way to play a game on the PC but as another programming masterpiece. It is more like a work of art. I do admire programming projects quite well, to tell the truth, that is what I'm going into college for. Although I plan to program a game, not an emulator.

It is too bad about that law, but this seems to be oppertunity rather than tragedy. I don't recall many fusions of emulator code until recently, sounds interesting, dunno what to expect though XD.

In any case, good luck! :) And try to have at least some fun.

-Darkfox

Last edited:

proffessor_Gad

Some people look at emulators as a cheap way to get away from buying the actual game system...

But I see emulators as something that opens the doors to a better appreciation of the given game system. Playing the game on your game system is one thing, but when you play it behind your computer you see the game from a different perspective. Not only this, but emulators make it possible to hack games which adds on to the fun.

So I believe that emulating really is a work of art, it is more than just playing the game on your computer, it is way more....

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I absolutely agree. Besides, my Supercard usage is as follows:

5%: chemistry notes
5%: games
90%: music!

I so love Moonshell...
Evrain

OP
L

Low Lines

true
i mean i've only glanced at some of the hacks they do and take super mario 64 (for Nintendo64 of course), who would have thought it could be possible to turn those blocky classic n64 graphics into zelda wind waker like stuff???

restoring lost brilliant games and even improving upon them is genuine uninfluenced creativity (though do not confuse this with new console emus that are still new) which is great when your old snes is in pieces and that yoshi's island game is staring at you like a lost little dog....

off topic yes, but irrelevant no.

proffessor_Gad

Some day in the distant future, people will look back at the nintendo ds like we today look at the first Nintendo system!

But how they look at it, depends on what we do now. Everything gets old, but some things get old faster than others. Lets endeavor to keep the Nintendo DS system alive for the years to come!

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
"Playing the game on your game system is one thing, but when you play it behind your computer you see the game from a different perspective."

Now that there is what I'm getting at. You can see a game in ways you wouldn't on a TV screen stretched out of proportion or a small screen that some would have to get close to see. Emulation allows more options you wouldn't get on the system. Not only that, but in the cases of earlier, considered obsolete consoles, it immortalizes them. I personally still like to play the NES. :) One of my first games was Fester's Quest and I liked it. Through emulation I got to play it again in it's true size and a bit clearer sound. I even got to rip the music into MP3, I liked the boss music as geeky as that sounds. I even managed to get a bit of an understanding of the map code it uses. I played the beta too. Good thing they changed the first boss, XD.

In any case, this is part of the reason I got into likeing emulation. Old systems are pretty difficult to maintain, so what better way is there than to immortalize them on the PC? :)

Darkfox

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Oh no doubt with that! Older systems deserve to be emulated, even though a "specimen" is always well-kept somewhere around the world (namely, Iwata's safe). And I also agree on the "we mustn't ruin the NDS' success", because it is a complete success (just look at MediaCreate reports, the DS sales account for more than 200k units in Japan alone). Believe me, the very same moment I turned my Supercard-powered NDS on and started Aria of Sorrow (and before you cry yes, I used its ROM. Why? Because it was my first translation! Yup, Evrain is a talented ROM hacker :p) I noticed immediately the Grand Canyon-sized gap between VisualBoy Advance and the real thing. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing will ever beat a real GBA or DS: I was speechless at how the albeit small graphics felt so right, so wonderfully animated, with amazing fluidity. Nothing like the blocky, stretched graphics you get in an emulator.

You lamers are warned: BUY THE DAMN THING, FOR IT'S DAMN GOOD! Get your hands on the real thing, pay those damn $100 for a Nintendogs bundle and taste what the Nintendo Difference is all about and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I so miss the 16bit days, when an all out battle Sega and Nintendo pushed them to their limits, one masterpiece after the other. And, food for thoughts, keep in mind the Dreamcast system is still alive and kicking, even after SEGA officially discontinued its production.
Playstation no baka!
Evrain

Saq

I've been waiting for emulation to kick off properly for around 1 year now. Just this year in January 2006, i bought myself a DS. I found myself not using it as much as i want to because i want to use the emulator version of a game first. I dont support piracy at ALL, but it just helps to pick what games are good and what ones suck so badly that you could eat rotten eggs for breakfast. Anyway, keep up the goodwork on the emulation progress Evrain :).

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Believe me saq, read reviews or try the wireless demos: each Nintendo DS game is worth its value, given of course you avoid blatantly crappy ones. Like that disgusting Need for Speed look-alike. Honestly, this console's games get better and better. Can't wait to lay my hands on the next Castlevania!
Evrain