What's new

IBM, Sony, and Toshiba release info about a new processor.

WhiteX

Doomulation said:
What do you know? Hard sometimes, yes, but not extremely hard.

Anyway, this things looks helluva sweet! :icecream: Geee, I'd get my hands on one if possible. If it is as good as they claim it to be, that is. We don't know much about how it performs, yet...

Heh, they confirmed running on linux, but not windows. Must be a blow to microsoft! :p

I read in EGM Brazil that game developers were somewhat afraid of it for it will be very different from the standard programming :alien2: , and little Bill will have its way into producing some kind of WinCell or smth like that

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I've been thinking about this a little as well...
On PCs this would probably be a big hit. Normally, windows spawns about 300 threads. Yes, 300 threads! with no proggies running. When using multiple processors, windows divides the threads among them. So, what stops it from processing 10 threads at the same time with such a processor? It would be like having 30 threads on a processor than can process only one instruction at a time! What a boost, I say!

It would be hard to utilize 10 threads at least for every application unless it's really big... but with the whole windows thing, I guess it's no loss. But for consoles? I have no idea if they do support threads or how many threads they spawn.

Jakob

evil *******
WhiteX said:
I read in EGM Brazil that game developers were somewhat afraid of it for it will be very different from the standard programming :alien2: , and little Bill will have its way into producing some kind of WinCell or smth like that
everyone fears the unknown, but without it there wouldn't be progress