What's new

How to "Shut Off" at night?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
So a slightly misleading topic title :p

No I am not asking how to code an application to turn off your computer at a set time at night :)

As a programmer, I code all day then when the time comes I go to bed. The problem is I just cannot shut off my brain. I always think about algorithms and bugs when I hit the hay, and rarely sleep as a result.

It's not always a bad thing as I usually get up the next day using what I thought about while trying to sleep and fix any bugs i have, however, it is deeply frustrating.

How do you guys switch your brain off at night, and leave programming until you awake?

This is a serious thread, this has affected me for years.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Years ago when programming was a bigger thing for me than it is now, I admit to having a similar problem, I often would not 'shut off' and in fact still actively think of solutions to problems while I was sleeping, Things that I would never think of while awake would come to me, as long as I was able to remember it when I was awake!

My advice would be not to try to separate awake and sleep, you'd be surprised how productive you can be while you're sleeping.

It might be a good idea to stop programming a few hours before you go to sleep by distracting yourself with something else to do though.

Last edited:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
do something non work related/brain thinking .. watch a show works at a lot of time, do house work. Tho It has not been as much of a problem for me as my mind/body seems to shut down on my at nights .. does not stop me getting up at odd times when it has had some sleep like 1:30 am at the moment

Cyberman

I read watch Anime simulate circuits etc. The majority of what I do at work is programming so anything that's not programming is fine. I also play games. (shocking I know). I do programming type stuff on non work days.

Cyb

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Thanks for the advice guys. I stopped programming last night at 9pm and stuck a movie on at 11pm. Movie lasted until 1.30am and I went to bed.....

Yet I still had the issue! Maybe I should set a earlier cut off point.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
In your mind, the most important thing you do is taking over everything else. If you convince yourself that sleep is more important then you'll just shut off.

Concentration (or in that case, lack of) is the key.

smcd

Take something? Melatonin, Valerian root, etc. (weird dreams side-effects a plus, at least for me) and maybe try some reading? Leisure material, not computing books ;)

If you're having trouble sleeping, forgot to mention those darn blue led that are everywhere may be a cause too. hehe

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Meditation. Every night when I go to bed I listen to one of several meditation exercises to help me relax and clear my mind. I am usually overtired and fall asleep halfway through the recording.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
A lot of diverse ways indeed, maybe a combination of techniques might work if one on its own doesn't.

Like watch a movie, have a big meal, meditate. Maybe even get a dog and play with it for a while :D

I always found I do my best thinking in my sleep, hehe - So I don't technically shut off while I sleep, which might explain my quirkiness.

I merged your earlier post Zack as it got posted twice for some reason.