What's new

How to access coding in N64 roms?

Silversea

Think this is the right place to post this.

So the idea is this: I am an admin on animalcrossing.wikia and I had an interesting idea suggested to me. In order to complete some of the insect pages better, what if I could go into the n64 files and actually see what the exact % chance of a certain insect type spawning is?

I am familiar with javascript and I know a little of the other coding systems. I don't know what coding the 64 is but I don't see why this couldn't be done. Question is how?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions etc.

F

Fanatic 64

I don't see why this couldn't be done.

Because nobody has invented a method of decompiling a Nintendo 64 (R4300i MIPS Assembly) binary.

It may be possible to check the game's (RAM) memory while playing or the ROM with an hexadecimal editor and figure that out, but that would be a rather complex task.

Or, you could sit there and watch which insects appear most of the time, and calculate the probability of X insect appearing (that's how it was done the old times).

OP
S

Silversea

Ah, that was my only fear. It might be easier for the DS and Gamecube ones because they have been explored far more.

Well thanks for the information.

Cyberman

I will caution you about reversing the code in a ROM do so only for your own use.

IF you are making a dynamic recompiler then that might be a different matter.

Cyb