What's new

how can i set how much i want the fps limited to?

Trotterwatch

AFAIK this can't be done.

A while back someone suggested if you wanted to do this, setting your monitor to the equivalent HZ rate (ie 70 in this case) and enabling Vsync. As I remember though, this wouldn't work.

There is no other way, that I know of. Try searching the forum the more on this.

OP
T

thuggedtearz

nevermind i think pj uses rdb :cry:
but still there nothing on there that says anything about how fast it should be runned

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
see - told ya. i still dont understand why some people are against the idea.

if its "because it wouldn't be like the original" then im sorry but i dont buy that. if the n64 emulators were about perfect emulation, we'd all be stuck with crappy low res, blocky graphics.

anyway im sure that isnt it. its a shame though, because like i said before it works so well with other emulators (especially the psx emulators)

OP
T

thuggedtearz

it should be able to be done, its done so in tons of other emus for sys like genesis and gameboy, i think setting your monitor refresh rate might fix it, but i dunno then it might skip the frames

perfect dark runs at 50 fps for me limited, and it seems that its still slow!

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
it is. have you ever tried playing gt2 at 70fps instead of 50? it makes a world of difference. it 'feels' so much better

RadeonUser

It could be done yes (PJ64 has no setting for this), but it can be done... There's a few problems that arise with raising the FPS though... You might notice this as either... a laggy controller... or bad sound.

Just want to make sure you guys know this too... The N64 actually runs games like... Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, Perfect Dark at somewhere near 15 to 30 frames per second. 50 or 60 "Fields Per Second" (what the FPS counter is for in PJ64) is the rate at which the frames would be displayed (50 or 60 respectively) but renders at slower speeds (depending on the game... something like Super Mario 64 probably does somewhere near 50 to 60 frames per second)

Well... thats a reason why they decided againts adding a selectable FPS limiter... Too many problems would arise.

*Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong here*

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
RadeonUser said:
It could be done yes (PJ64 has no setting for this), but it can be done... There's a few problems that arise with raising the FPS though... You might notice this as either... a laggy controller... or bad sound.

Just want to make sure you guys know this too... The N64 actually runs games like... Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, Perfect Dark at somewhere near 15 to 30 frames per second. 50 or 60 "Fields Per Second" (what the FPS counter is for in PJ64) is the rate at which the frames would be displayed (50 or 60 respectively) but renders at slower speeds (depending on the game... something like Super Mario 64 probably does somewhere near 50 to 60 frames per second)

Well... thats a reason why they decided againts adding a selectable FPS limiter... Too many problems would arise.

*Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong here*

ahh finaly a decent answer. i was aware of this, but know that i think about it i can see that problems could arise. still - it would be nice to have the option.

no, scratch that, i dont believe it would cause a problem. think about it for a second.

run say super mario with the sync off so its over 60fps. what happens? nothing. it doesnt go out of sync. its fine. Inface, now that i think about it, i regularly play Beetle Racing with sync off because it just plays better (problem is it sometimes is too fast, but hey!)

i dont see that putting an adjustable limit would cause any problems (mabey with slightly 'skippy' sound - but we all get that anyway)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Now...it might seem strange, but people have tried to get pj's fps-limiter out of sync to, say 70 fps. However, no one has suceeded.
And i'll let you in about a little truth here.

There's 2 types of fps. Frames per second and Fields per second.
A NTSC game always runs at 60 fields per second, while a pal always runs at 50 fields per second.
However, frames per second tells how many times the screen is refreshed per second. This varies from game to game. For example, mario runs at 30 frames per second. And zelda runs at 25 frames per second.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
we know that. but that still doesnt effect the game if you run it with the sync off. thats what's confusing. it seems strange that it cant be done

Smiff

Emutalk Member
we just wanted pj64 to be as simple as possible to use. adjustable/fractional speed limiter was on my list of ideas but wasn't high enough priority to happen. it's not something most people would want, and we could do without the extra hassle from silly people using it :p

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
yeah i can understand you not wanting it in there because of those silly poeple cmplaining that it doesnt work correctly or whatever.

however, what are you implying by "silly" people, smiff? i hope you dont mean me! lol

Anime_Fan

james.miller said:
I don't see that putting an adjustable limit would cause any problems (mabey with slightly 'skippy' sound - but we all get that anyway) [/B]

I don't get skippy sound... Emulation is almost perfect...