What's new

How can i make vBulletin run on my PC?

skull1

im9i7
Hi guys.

I'm starting a website for my business and i want to put vBulletin in it as our message board. I want to learn how to use it first before i put it on the web. I would like to install it on my computer first so i can learn things about it before i set it on-line. The manual says it needs sql or something. I have no background on that. i have several question for the experts.

I have ISS installed. What else to i need to istall or setup? Can i run vbulletin on my computer as if it's on-line?

Thank you for your time.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
skull1 said:
Hi guys.

I'm starting a website for my business and i want to put vBulletin in it as our message board. I want to learn how to use it first before i put it on the web. I would like to install it on my computer first so i can learn things about it before i set it on-line. The manual says it needs sql or something. I have no background on that. i have several question for the experts.

I have ISS installed. What else to i need to istall or setup? Can i run vbulletin on my computer as if it's on-line?

Thank you for your time.

You'll need:
MySQL A Free SQL server and the PHP extensions installed.

Then, ofcourse, a copy of vB.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
skull1 said:
I have ISS installed.

If you mean Microsofts IIS (Internet Information Systems) then you are using the wrong platform. MySQL runs on Linux, not Windows. Vbulletin is PHP based, and therefore it doesn't run on IIS. For IIS you would need an ASP based bulletin board.

vileP

AlphaWolf said:
If you mean Microsofts IIS (Internet Information Systems) then you are using the wrong platform. MySQL runs on Linux, not Windows. Vbulletin is PHP based, and therefore it doesn't run on IIS. For IIS you would need an ASP based bulletin board.

Actually, there are PHP extentions for IIS, MySQL does have a download for Windows. and there is a version of vBulletinfor Windows

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
phpBB

http://phpbb.com

phpBB is free message board software that's also fast.

I don't like to say this, but vBulletin is literally like the Microsoft of message board software, it's majorly popular and majorly expensive :(.

phpBB is somewhat analogous to Linux ;).

OpenBB is another one. It's fast too and already includes attachment support.

Attachment support for phpBB is an add on, it's a mod.

Last edited:
OP
S

skull1

im9i7
vileP said:
Actually, there are PHP extentions for IIS, MySQL does have a download for Windows. and there is a version of vBulletinfor Windows

So this means it's possible that i can make it run?
I want to try vBulletin because almost all forums i go to uses it.
I must also say that one big disadvantage for vBulletin is the price.

I'm currently trying phpbb. It looks good and easy to configure.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
skull1 said:
So this means it's possible that i can make it run?
I want to try vBulletin because almost all forums i go to uses it.
I must also say that one big disadvantage for vBulletin is the price.

I'm currently trying phpbb. It looks good and easy to configure.
Yes, you can run the Windows port of MySQL, use the IIS PHP modules and then install vB (or any other PHP/MySQL based message board) on your home system.

AlphaWolf.::.
Research before you go against what others have suggested :)