What's new

How are n64 roms made?

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
This is kind of a dumb question, but i didn't know where to put it.
How are n64 roms made? is their some kind of hardware you need to do it or is it more of a programming thing?
just curious

Jesterhead

You need a backup device, where the cartdriges are putted in.
With the device the rom´s on the cartdrige can be downloaded (there are some with a floppy drive if i remember correctly :p )

BGNG

GBA ROMs, on the other hand, are typically backed up by linking the GBA to a computer via the multiplayer port and booting from there. With a cartridge inserted, the computer can send code to the GBA to read data from the cart and upload them back to the computer, where the ROM is constructed.

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Where can you get something like that? is it legal?

(the N64 one, I know where to find a gba one)

Allnatural

aibrubusfosusej said:
Where can you get something like that? is it legal?
There is the Doctor v64 and v64jr made by Bung, the CD64 made by UFO, and the z64 by Interesting Devices. I doubt that they're being made anymore, nor do I know where they could be purchased (google will likely turn up something). Of course there's always eBay...

The legality of such devices is debatable, so if you want more information you're on your own.

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Dang... So how are new n64 roms being made right now? Just people who happen to have one of these things?

smcd

If you're talking about people making games or demos and stuff, then sure things are being programmed still, like on pdroms.de

Cyberman

aibrubusfosusej said:
Dang... So how are new n64 roms being made right now? Just people who happen to have one of these things?
No comercial roms are being made anymore as the platform is no longer supported.
You can make 'ROM' images for playing in an EMU I guess.

Ok now Dextrose should be a good place to go..
Another place for information is Icequake.

Cyb

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
I'm not talking about new commercial roms, im not stupid:)
I mean getting roms off the cartridges to the computer.
It's still being done, right?

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
How N64 Roms are made...

Well, the papa cartridge sticks his 'chip' into the mama's 'slot'. Acouple hours later... *poof*. Baby 'rom' is born. Once papa catridges job is done, mama leaves him and takes all his money that he worked oh so hard to make.
The little 'rom' grows up and is hookered all over the internet in an attempt to support herself. She fails, and ultimatley dies at the hands of merciless leachers that dont want to share outdated crap.
And so, in retrospect, would it have been better for our young rom to have never been created?? To have never existed in beautiful binary sequencion? I dont think so... better to have been emulated and lost than to have never been emulated at all.

Cyberman

aibrubusfosusej said:
I'm not talking about new commercial roms, im not stupid:)
:police: hmmmm
aibrubusfosusej said:
I mean getting roms off the cartridges to the computer.
It's still being done, right?
Do you have a lot of carts to backup?

Cyb