What's new

Hi, what language should I learn first in order to build a Ps3 Emulator

Thunderb00ts

Should I use Visual Basic? I'm fairly new to this but I just ordered the book "Visual Basic for beginners" off Amazon so come a few weeks from now I should be able to get started on a Ps3 emulator. I'm dedicated 100% to this seeing how the ps3 is 8 years old and the world is yet to see a Pcsx3 emu. I've already asked my neighbor to help. He knows a bit how to make websites, so he does have some computer knowledge.

Any tips for a beginner? Please note, this will be my first ever emulator so go easy on me.

F

Fanatic 64

Honestly, you should forget about making a PlayStation 3 emulator, at least for know. You know the reason why experienced hackers and programmers haven't made one yet? Because it's ridiculously complicated, and today's PCs aren't nearly capable of emulating such an advanced console.

You would also need to learn much more than Visual Basic (in fact, Visual Basic is next to useless for what you want), and get specialized hardware for reverse-engineering the PS3.

Sorry to disappoint you, but your goals are simply unrealistic. Start easy, try making some PC programs first, then you could tackle emulation of less advanced console, like the GameBoy, or at max (for a single person), the Nintendo 64.

I also highly doubt your neighbor is fit for the work (HTML, aka "making websites", is also useless for emulation).

OP
T

Thunderb00ts

o.k. what about a 360 emulator. I know for fact that one will be easy considering a 360 uses PC hardware. My question now is, can I build it using Visual Basic since i already paid for the book. Also, my neighbor will be more in charge of watching youtube videos on how to make an emulator, so that's how he will help.

I feel, you just need to set your mind to it and everything is possible. We will start with a simple build, like a 360 emu, then move onto a PS3 one after. Hopefully with the experience we can accomplish a Pcsx3.

DETOMINE

Learn C (at least) or C++.
Visual Basic is NOT adapted to what you want to do.
Also take it easy and start with something different (simple programs, etc...).

We must learn to walk before we can run.

Toasty

Sony battery
We will start with a simple build, like a 360 emu...
I applaud your ambitious goals, but this is a bit like the kid who just bought a book about rockets saying, "I'll start out with a simple project, like a manned mission to Mars". You need to be proficient in programming before you should even think about working on an emulator. And at that point, try Chip-8.