What's new

Help with the emulator...

Dogman5

----------
Ok, first let me tell you my problem.

Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Ridge Racer, and Zelda OOT all work perfectly.

Games like Majoras Mask, Conkers BFD, Banjo Kazooie, F-Zero X work OK..

and Games like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye work terrible. They are extremely choppy and come in very slow.

Here is my CPU Stats:
-Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz
-640MB RDRAM
-40GB Hard Drive
-32MB NVida GeForce2 MX
-SB Sound Blaster LIVE!
-Windows ME

So is there anything on there that is bad? Could it be Windows ME? because I plan to purchase Windows XP next week, so is that the trouble?

My main problem is, if i am walking around in a large area (ie Termina Feild, Zelda MM) the game gets very choppy when i approach something, and the sound starts to cut up, followed by some visual chopyness. And with Perfect Dark, if I am standing still, it works fine, and then I shoot my gun and the sound comes in very choppy and it goes extremely slow. That is my major issue.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with settings or something.. Thanks ALOT!!! :D

Smiff

Emutalk Member
adjusting CF, ABL and RSP config are three obvious things that come to mind.. the manual should cover most of this. Basically, those games have higher requirements... a P4 1.5Ghz probably isn't very good either.

OP
Dogman5

Dogman5

----------
Smiff said:
adjusting CF, ABL and RSP config are three obvious things that come to mind.. the manual should cover most of this. Basically, those games have higher requirements... a P4 1.5Ghz probably isn't very good either.

uhh sorry to bother you, but can you please tell me what those abreviations stand for, and how I can do them? Sorry thanks!

a P4 1.5GHz isnt good? I thought it was.. :satisfied

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
There is a very Good Project64 Gossary In the user manual That explains those abreviations .

Help/User manual/Good Project64 Gossary.

Plus a very good GAMEFAQ that should also help getting a game runing well/or telling if not playible.

OP
Dogman5

Dogman5

----------
But are my System Specifications good?

Will Windows XP Help? Beacuase i am getting that soon.

Thanks i will try and do it myself

schibo

Emulator Developer
PD and Goldeneye are two games that stubbornly require reasonably accurate timing to run at a decent speed. Timing can affect thread synchronization and thread priority. For a number of reasons, precise timing is one of the most difficult things to achieve in emulation. Try playing with the Counter Factor (CF). This feature is a common hack in n64 emulators, but it will alter the timing by playing with the rate of the n64's COUNT register.

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
i think 1.5 is fine. Whatever he said, i'm having the same trouble also. I have a P4 2.0 overclocked to 2.2

E

emuguy

i have perfect dark running perfect on my system.
amd athlon xp 1600+
512mb ram
64mb onboard sis730 gfx
40gig hd

the only problems i have with perfect dark now are the known issues that only a new plugin/emu can cure. i used to have the game running like u said, very slow, and all i did was upgrade my ram from 256 to 512. i cant see u having to upgrade ure ram cos uve got more than i have now, never mind before. i didnt alter any of the settings above. just stuff like fog and texture blending. also i have a bone to pick with all the people that said that sis graphics are shit. they cant be. it runs perfect dark perfect, majoras mask perfect, f zero x perfect.............i can go on. it plays all the top games that the emulator can handle perfect. the odd game i mite have to play in 640x480 but it is rare and usually just in tiny parts of the games where they slow down (not much though) 800x600. i think i mite have a special sis730......lol. on the grand theft auto 3 forums no one cud get gta workin on an sis730. mine does........? dont ask me why cos i aint got a clue, but it runs plenty fast enough to play, it might not be as smooth as a gf4 but its not far off. so it looks like the emulator pros are wrong saying that the sis730 is below minimum requirements. it actually seems that it is well above reccommended requirements. i did have a lot of problems with n64 games when i had 256mb ram but since i upgraded it all ran perfect. sigh, i love to prove people wrong. especially pros................lol..............only kidding, and sorry for rambling on im bored. :)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
PD and GE is pretty good on my athlon 1.2, radeon, 256ram. it should run, no problem, on your system. You seriously have to play with the CF (especially GE, i think the default setting is wrong)

SquareSoft0

Moogle
My Stats:
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1.0 GHz
576 MB SRAM
800x600 in 32-Bit Color, NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 Ver. 4.0
SoundBlasterLive! surround sound
Windows ME 4.90 (Build 3000)

I run those 3 games PERFECTLY.... In fact my fps goes up to about 80-120 if I turn off the limiter. I don't overclock becasue my 2 favorite CPU games (Unreal Tournament and The Sims) won't work.

danos

AMD Athalon(tm)xp 1700+
NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 64
Windows XP

me to! But I cant get past the Warehouse on Perfect Dark!! So I stopped playing it!

danos

just kept walking around this place and following a guy in a suit! Oh well I only eva play Banjo Kazooie im really addicted to it!!

E

emuguy

are u sere u dont mean the warehouse in goldeneye or maybe statue. either that or ure still on carrington institute which aint even a proper level. lol. i wont play perfect dark until the graphics are supported properly and i have a controller. otherwise i will just be playing a masterpeice that dont even work properly. any ideas of anything that will stop the graphics problems in pd? i havnt trey all the levels yet so i dont know all the problems but the main ones i have seen are-

carrington villla- seriousley bad gfx problems, the graphics repeat them selves in the sky ans they are always flashing on and off. like the guards flicker all the time.
area 51- the video of the alien at the beggining of the level is really slow and u cant even see it and on the same level u get an error, cant remember which one
theres others but i cant remember them without going on them.
also is there any plugins planned to make pd work better or wioll the next line of emus make it work? and when i sed all the games work perfect i forgot to say that that doesnt include goldeneye. lol. its horrenousley slow. but ive started getting used to the settings now so im gonna go for a mess around see if i can get it to work :)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
That's all because of your shitty sis-730s. Try glide64+evoodoo, it seems to use less complicated hardware features that even the shittiest support. :p

E

emuguy

errr? u read my other posts in this topic? al other games work perfect includin perfect dark. ge is the only one i cant get to work

OP
Dogman5

Dogman5

----------
ok guys! Thanks alot! I will try and fiddle around with the Counter Factor to get those games running good. You guys are a big help :D

Edit: Ok, i put the Counter Factor to 1 and it is helping, but there are still some small instances of slowdown when alot of sounds on at once.

Last edited: