What's new

Help choosing a new Win OS

OP
Miretank

Miretank

Lurking
Doom said:
Service packs cotain security upgrades and features. Plus some software requires you to have these service packs installed to even allow you to install them. Micorosoft's visual studio 2005 comes to mind.
The best thing to do is slipstream it into a windows installation and install it. That way it won't bloat windows and you'll have the latest service pack.
Totally agreed Doom. SPs are a must for XP nowadays, some applications will only run under sp2 for example.
If the problem is the excessive crap on XP, cut it out with nLite.

Jale

N00bis Hi-Res Texture Maker
You can go for Windows XP Service Pack 2. Windows XP Media Center Edition is the same Windows XP + Service Pack 2 + Media Center + Microsoft Plus! and other multimedia stuff.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
yegosimo said:
i suggest windows xp 2001 edition..lol no service packs
service packs eat space on ur drive and normal xp is kind of efficient
by the way? dont u need a media center PC for using Windows MCE ??

Don't come here to ET saying such stupids things and shame up our country!

revl8er

That Damn Good
I have been running win xp pro for a while now and had no problems with it. I dont know much about media center edition.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
1. Windows is more efficient, a little bit less buggy with SP2 installed, but is a most to fix all the security bugs that let viruses and other things into your computer. SP2 adds a better firewall and ad-blocker for IE (for those who use it).

2. It doesn't eat you HDD, it will replace a lot of the old files and the new ones just take a little more space in your HDD

3. You don't need to "install the service packs" The last service pack always include all the upgrades included in the last ones.

4. Media Center PC? WTF is that? an invention? the difference is thatversion of windows has other candy stuff like a better Windows Video Maker and other stuff if I remember well. You can install it in almost every decent PC. Media center PC reminds me of my first 2x CD-ROM drive that had a logo stating: "MPC: Multimedia PC" Whoa! you can listen CDs in your PC! blah blah blah

Clear?