Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Gtk 2

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • Both (one package for each library)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I'm thinking about switching mupen64 to gtk 2. As you may know, all the plugins must also use gtk 2, that's why i have not done the conversion earlier.

The advantages of gtk 1.2 are: all systems had it until now. (Is it always true now ?) It's compatible with all available plugins that has been distributed in binary or source code format.

The advantages of gtk 2.0 are: newer library that looks greater. Maybe more people have it now ?

It'll be possible to choose which library to use when compiling from source code. So, this question is only about the binaries distribution... What do you think is better ? Give your arguments, it'll help me doing my choice.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
GTK 1.2 seems to be becoming rapidly extinct. GTK2 seems to be the only real option for non KDE apps, for example, the official Mozilla linux builds now all use GTK2. GTK 1.2's development also seems to have ground to a halt. If enough projects switch, I could finally drop GTK 1.2 off my system.

ggab

Emutalk Member
Hacktarux said:
I'm thinking about switching mupen64 to gtk 2. As you may know, all the plugins must also use gtk 2, that's why i have not done the conversion earlier.
if u mean that u have converted all the plugins to use gt2,
first: excellent job!
second: so, gtk 2 sounds as a better choise :)

Zilla

夢を見られた
gtk 2 is included with most modern distro's now, and most people are using Gnome 2.10.
Definitely worth switching, though I prefer QT. :)

Last edited:

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
gtk2! not like it matters to a silly gentoo-er like myself, since i of course have to compile everything from source... ha. but really, a fresher-looking GUI could never hurt the masses who enjoy mupen in binary form.

ciruZ

I'm for GTK2, too. Porting the plugins to GTK2 isn't that much work. If noone ports them to GTK2, I'll do it, since it only takes a few minutes.

Belegdol

And some distributions, at least Fedora, supply very little amount of gtk1.2 themes, which additonally often suck, in contrast with clearlooks.

Tillmann

Whatever
well I've been thinking...
gtk1 equals light, plus, old, plus, has some limitations equals fits nicely on old computers
gtk2 equals little less light + new + beatifull + versatile...
i've previously ask to Hacktarux why dont move to gtk2... and now I think that it is time...

tkf

Looks are not as important as improved performance for me. And I don't mind keeping gtk-1.2.

jogibear9988

gtk2

i think, gtk2 do it.

if someone has a older system with no gtk2 aviable he could use the nongui version.

but i think you should rename the config file from gui_gtk.conf to another name.

and i think the config file patches from me (our your own) should be included, so that the nongui version works with config file and commandline options..

JOPS

Gtk2

I vote for GTK2 but the most important thing for me is good integration with MythTV so I would like better support for commandline options and preferably the possibility to quit the whole emulator with ESC. Haven't tried jogibear9988's patches yet but I intend to do so. :)

BTW: Support for LIRC would be nice too.

GameboyHippo

JOPS said:
I vote for GTK2 but the most important thing for me is good integration with MythTV so I would like better support for commandline options and preferably the possibility to quit the whole emulator with ESC. Haven't tried jogibear9988's patches yet but I intend to do so. :)

BTW: Support for LIRC would be nice too.

Holy crap. I was going to say the exact same thing. Perhaps when the .5 source is released, I'll try to experiment with LIRC integration and contribute a command line release. BTW, have you seen the latest MythGame? It's going to make N64 integration a sinch... especially if it has LIRC & guiless support.

JOPS

GameboyHippo said:
Holy crap. I was going to say the exact same thing. Perhaps when the .5 source is released, I'll try to experiment with LIRC integration and contribute a command line release. BTW, have you seen the latest MythGame? It's going to make N64 integration a sinch... especially if it has LIRC & guiless support.

Hehe, so I'm not the only one using Mupen with Myth then. :)
Yepp, I've tested the new MythGame for a couple of weeks and it looks great. Before that I had to make some messy personal patches to support other emulators.

Most of the emulators I use work perfectly with Myth except for the fact that some of them use different keyboard controls. I'm striving for a setup where all emulators share the same basic keyboard and remote control commands for common functions like quitting and so on (without the need to hack any source).

Please keep me informed if you have any success with LIRC in Mupen. :)

mojo

Hooray! Finally I can get rid off the libgtk1.2 on my Ubuntu. I felt so annoyed that I have to install gtk1.2 just to run one program. Since most programs are GTK2 now, I am quite assure that GTK1.2 will be extinct pretty soon IF those commercial company starts using GTK2 for devel. For example, Nero still uses GTK1.2 for their NeroLinux due to compatibility issue with some old Linux system.
Stand on my art point of view, each systems have their own sexiness. It's good if the N64 emulators and plugins have various front-end like gtk1.2, gtk2, motif, X, etc. The core will be the same, but the GUI will be different.
For example, if you're running Solaris CDE or SGI IRIX, the GTK front-end obviously won't match the eye-candy consistency of Motif (not to say that you have to install libgtk - troublesome installation on those UNIX). Imagine that how fast, cool if there is also Motif front-end for such machines. Or if you're running Ubuntu, the GTK2 GUI and plugins front-end will blend the program to the eye-candy of GTK2. Or even with the odd case of RedHat Linux 7.2 where GTK2 is not supported, then GTK1.2 GUI should do its job fine.