What's new

Getting a new mobo + some other parts need help selecting

Olger901

Banned
Hi guys

I am getting a new pc since my old AMD totally sucks and hangs all the time in all OSes and I tried a lot to stop it but I'm going back to Intel. I want a good motherboard and a good processor.

Pls help me choose something I got about 300 to 400 USD to spend

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Do you see my specs? Don't make the same mistake get an Athlon!! What do you think guys? Somebody please post a link to the Poll I made some time ago about Intel and AMD processors

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
bestlegion said:
Do you see my specs? Don't make the same mistake get an Athlon!! What do you think guys? Somebody please post a link to the Poll I made some time ago about Intel and AMD processors

do you get horny off of telling people about polls you've made?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
probable cause: faulty motherboard, faulty processor, and/or improper installation.

I have yet to have a problem with any AMD CPU.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
A Huge problem that I have been seeing lately with people who install their own hardware is improper installation of the CPU fan. Remember that even if you have an amazing fan, you need an amazing heatsink to go with it. You should also grab some coolent solution (grease) 'cause believe it or not this stuff helps out alot. Just to check to see if it is a over heating problem try under-clocking your CPU. If it runs more stable under clocked then you probably have a heating problem or your CPU may be damaged.

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
For Pentium 4 processors, try looking at a 1.8 GHz or 2 GHz. They are pretty affordable at the moment. For mobos, try looking at an ASUS. They have never failed me, are good quality, and are faster in many benchmarks compared to other board makers. :satisfied

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Ok 1 I always install things properly and I know what I am doing since I made a lot of comps from only parts since I work at a comp shop. So it is not a improper installation.
2 I am getting an intel because I tried everything first I had a AMD Athlon 500MHz which worked fine Then I got an 1.2+ and it kept crashing. My videocard has been replaced 3x, my hd 2x, my network card 2x, my memory 2x, installed a new fan 1 and nothing helps my pc keeps crashing.So I tried a new processor my 1500 it worked fine for about 2 months then WinXP started crashing and hanging at shut down. So I tought it was the OS went back to w2k was fine for a month then it started crashing again so I formatted again installed win2k again and it started crashing again ok formatted again installed 98 and It kept crashing,Even Linux crashes all the time. I am just thinking amd screwed my pc up twice and I am not statisfied with that. You may all think Intel is crap but I know Ill go for a stable processor with a bit less speed then I dont care about the speed

2 2bzy4ne1: I was thinking of the Asus PS48X Mobo with Firewire, USB 2.0 and Intergrated LAN with a Intel 2.0 GHz Processor and 512 Meg PC2100 Ram will that do?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Olger901 said:
2 2bzy4ne1: I was thinking of the Asus PS48X Mobo with Firewire, USB 2.0 and Intergrated LAN with a Intel 2.0 GHz Processor and 512 Meg PC2100 Ram will that do?
That sounds good. If you can throw in the extra money, try going for pc2700/ddr 333 instead. pc2100/ddr266 is common ddr ram now and the extra bandwith with ddr333 will benefit you. There is a slight price increase between 512MB ddr266 and 512MB ddr333 so i think that it won't matter.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Mmkay, i have athlon and everything is fine for me!
One thing you might wanna check:
Have you changed anything in bios? It remains even if you format your harddisk. Try to restore to default.

If it still remains, try to catch the error and get some support.
Intel sucks... :plain2:

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Intel doesn't suck. Some people think the same about AMD it also doesn't suck. I am going to Intel because I have a bad experience with AMD. The only thing AMD Beats Intel in is the Price and Intel beats AMD in cooling and stability and we can find that back in the price. Thats my opinion about them.

I also have seen multiple tests with the AMD 2600+ Mhz and the Intel 2,53 GHz and the tests were mostly equal and if there was a difference it was really minor like 0.2 or something.