What's new

Get Opera FREE - but hurry, ends Aug 31

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
In what way does IE work with shareaza?

When i download a torrent file and tell IE to 'open with Shareaza', it prompts Shareaza to display a download dialog that reads something like "downlaod this file?" and i proceed to download my file. When i use FireFox, i tell it to open the file with Shareaza, but Shareaza dosent respond to the prompt and i have to switch to IE to get the job done.

Oh by the way, Opera is the best browser I've tried so far... I'm not sure how good the compatability is.. but it works with Shareaza, so.

matthew

RatTrap said:
:)
i will just say that this is the most relative discussion you will find. It often depends on what type of website your building. A company doesn't need a fancy all new xyzhtml6.66 with Ecma 7.99 on it. What they care about is that they have "a website that works in all browsers" (you will actually hear them say those exact words but what they mean is that it works perfectly in IE and its also good that its viewable in the rest of the browsers).

LOl so what your saying is make sure it works in IE and forget about the rest ? Nah mate if I was to develop solely based on the standards that IE has my site would look a piece of crap accross most other browsers.
My goal as a designer is to reach the widest possible audience and not just a windows based one.
Whatever you mean by xyzhtml web standards allow more creativity
and flexibility and also save time especially with things like css and xhtml.
An example of poor programming is that when bad code is written IE generally tends to display it fine but it looks rubbish in other browsers and that, my friend, actually inhibits user choice. Also with the event of IE 7 the code that IE6 allows to render nicely may not later on however wc3 standards are designed to be future compatible.
You gotta note that if Microsoft creates it's own standards then what about other browsers?
Competition is good however how would they decide on what to add to their browser I mean it's not as if Microsoft have laid out anything guidelines and of course they are closed source

RatTrap said:
IE = Standard browser. If you are making a website and don't make sure the website works best or perfectly or the way it should in IE then you aren't doing a good job. If you don't know why i'm saying this then you have other personal problems with MS i guess but that's up to you. IE may not follow all standards and it may not allow for all the new things all at one time but like you know most ppl don't care for new things poping up from everywhere.

And IE is the standard browser for whom exactly?
Macosx', Solaris', Linux'?
I create websites that work well within all browsers and that's what web standards promotes.
However note as a developer i don't just create websites for standards .
I create them so I reach the widest possible audience and that's what web design is about.

RatTrap said:
A user wants a usable easy to navigate not too complex website and perhaps with a good looking design. That is that. No more no less. If you are in it for the "kix"... Then you might as well go flash on the website. And then it won't really matter what browser your using. Wich is what i do if i feel like making something really out there special that i trully need to put a lot of time on. The emulation64 design i made some years ago was something i did on the very sparest of my spare time. Wich is why it wasn't ready for like, what, 8-9 months? (Martin64 should know, he was nagging about it every day for that long if not longer :p
:.

Design a web page isn't the same as programming one designing one is much like graphic design but programming and knowing all of the code is completely different.
Also on that note how exactly does web standards inhibit any of what you just said infact it should enhance it by far since you reach a wider audience.

RatTrap said:
:
Opera, FF = None standard browsers. I'm not talking about the standards that the browser handles, i'm talking about how much of a standard it has become. I have both installed on my computer and yes i do use them from time to time. If its about how IE is like this or like that when it comes to JS-Error msgs? i think that is funny because if you really know ecma/js-script then you don't need any more than what the debugger in IE tells you. Sure you can make it easier for yourself using FFs debugger but i hardly feel this is anything to rant about since it's not that much of a diference if you trully know your scripting. I really like FF, but i also am a developer and so, i need to use the browser that most users use. Not the one that fit's me the best as a developer. This is something i was telling ppl about on another thread. I hope i don't need to explain why this is true, because it of course is.

Most users? Why not all users Just because microsoft has anti competitive policies why should the average user not be able to choose which browser they like best instead of microsoft and the web dictating it to them?
The web standards are there so people can make these choices.

RatTrap said:
Also you can't really say that FF doesn't have bugs or Opera is better this way or that way, they all have errors and bugs and wrongs. Its why you see new versions of FF so often as well as Opera has many things that they still haven't fixed. Some are actually html/xhtml bugs. Like tables not sliding togther the way they should after a <BR align="left"> or other things (they may have fixed that one by now). Also FF has a memory leak, comon can you trully say this is a good browser? i'm not sure if they fixed that but memory leaks are a serious thing. I've read about work arounds but they don't trully work it seems but things go fast so by now this may also be fixed. FF also has trouble with iframes. Big trouble they behave really weird. Opera has trouble with JS and so on.

LOl @ new versions of FF you can't really argue that since most new versions are bug fixes however point be known that IE also suffers these. Windows update has many fixes for Internet Explorer, however the key differences between other browsers and IE itself is that the rest of them do actually improve and strive to support more wc3 standards and features, but IE6 has stayed the same whatever. Also on the note of new versions IE six is embedded into windows so they wouldn't need to release a new version they could just release the fix file via Windows update but how would you suppose they do that with an application that isn't embedded into windows.
Also on the note of IE being insecure it's embedded into windows that makes it more insecure because with an external browser only the browser would be affected with bugs and vunrablities etc however because IE is embedded it could take the whole system down

RatTrap said:
Another thing is, vulnerabilities. So you say IE is so vulnerable and so on. And FF isn't? Opera and FF and even netscape are just as vulnerable. They just don't have as much ppl working against them. But the more users use these browsers the more vulnerabilities will show up. Also they aren't as widespread thru companies so if there is a vulnerability on FF you won't usually see it in newspapers and on every website in the world. But because most companies use IE it's very important to tell the world about an IE bugg and so you see news about it everywhere.

No they are not just as vunerable you said it yourself less people use them also IE as a browser is not vulnerable but ActiveX does make it more so.
Everyone near enough knows when Firefox has a bug because it's open source and everyone that is a developer tends to post fixes at Bugzilla.
However in Microsoft products it's kind of like security through obscurity so the bugs may have been there for a long time but only just discovered whereas with Firefox and Open source in general the source is there for everyone to see if they so wish.

RatTrap said:
Microsoft has, FF and Opera team, won in many ways when it comes to vulnerabilities. It takes far longer to fix problems of that sort for FF and Opera team. And that is understandable. Who cares if they have a fortune if it wasn't for IE and MS we wouldn't be where we are today. You believe that your mom or grandpa would sitt in front of a unix system chmoding some files after dinner or starting a webbrowser that looks like it's breaking apart? If IE had not existed FF and Opera would not look the way they do because a lot of it is a mix from NetScape and IE.

I don't see how it is a mix of IE exactly when everyone knows that Firefox is based on the netscape code that Netscape/Aol open sourced.
My mum and grandpa didn't have a computer never mind unix and when they were alive i don't suppose the internet was even available to the masses :D.
Undeniably Microsoft has contributed towards the history of computers, however I talk of today and not yesterday :)
And even so, all Microsoft did was copy the netscape layout to IE, so in effect Microsoft has done very little to contribute to the web (except ActiveX and we all know what that means). It was in fact Netscape who got the majority of the users introduced to the WWW in the early days. Their failing to innovate let to their downfall, much like Micrsoft fails to innovate today.

RatTrap said:
I somehow doubt many of our girlfriends would even know how to email us from their job place if there was no Microsoft Windows :p .
So in conclusion, if anyone should be using IE, it is you matthew :p .. I allready do since i know it's the only way to really see things the way the majority of my future visitors will see things. The number one rule of good design is to try and not change things too much for the user.

I want my choices to be respected and I'll use whatever browser I want and it's the web developers job to uphold usability and choice.
Point is that you as a web developer don't decide what a user wants to use as their web browser so how can you be sure how it will look on their browser?
I also don't see how using web standards inhibits their choices or changes things for them. If anything it should enhance their usability and respect their choices.

RatTrap said:
PS: What is this bs about no plugin support etc? lol... go look around you'll see you can have all the same features you have in FF and actually even use tabs in IE if you want, also for developers if you use interdev you have way faster load times locally then using FF (because parts of IE are in the core of XP of course) :) ..

Features aren't the same as plugins Internet explorer uses activex and not the plugins that netscape uses.
Also what you have just said doesn't relate to what I said earlier. Plus the tabs in Internet Explorer are only possible with a graphical frontend (like maxthon and the other one don't remember the name) which further slows and destabilises it.

matthew said:
IE doesn't support plugins anymore if you disable activex none of the interactive content works for example quicktime / windows media player embedded.
Active x being the main cause of spywear entry onto a windows based computer

Read that again because it says about if you disable activex because it doesn't support netscape style plugins your interactive content becomes limited.
So the question would be why disable activex well the answer is because it's safer of course :)

RatTrap

GODLIKE
sigh.. this is so silly, of course i never said you are not supposed to stop using other browsers than IE completly. If i make a serious website i make sure they work on all, but i make very sure it works perfectly in IE. This is not because i have some crush on IE it's because IE is the browser that companies use.

If your building a website for emutalk or emulation64 then who cares about IE. But if your building a newssite for the whole world and for many ppl who interact with the website from work. You should make very sure that IE is working perfectly with the website, despite webb-standards.

Or your going to go against the mayority of your visitors just coz your to stubborn and too idealistic to do what needs to be done so things will work?..

matthew

RatTrap said:
sigh.. this is so silly, of course i never said you are not supposed to stop using other browsers than IE completely. If i make a serious web site i make sure they work on all, but i make very sure it works perfectly in IE. This is not because i have some crush on IE it's because IE is the browser that companies use.
Your making assumptions now :) The local council where i work actively tell people to use Mozilla Also Big massive companies like Novel and IBM don't use IE Also Another massive company Apple i don't suppose they use IE either :)
RatTrap said:
If your building a web site for emutalk or emulation64 then who cares about IE. But if your building a news site for the whole world and for many ppl who interact with the web site from work. You should make very sure that IE is working perfectly with the web site, despite webb-standards.
I recon that should be the other way around if i didn't care about my perspective viewers I'd make it combatable with IE only and not care about the rest however if i wanted to make a world class site I'd make it according to WC3 X-HTML standards. As an example of what they make possible take mobile devices they will often work to the standard called x-HTML but if it wasn't there how would they show the quality of the browser.
RatTrap said:
Or your going to go against the majority of your visitors just coz your to stubborn and too idealistic to do what needs to be done so things will work?..
Your point isn't valid to be honest because Web standards do not inhibit usage in IE although yes it requires hacks for some effects but the point of web standards is to help developers and their perspective users not to hinder them. Hence i say Firefox is a better browser because it strives to support these standards. I don't care if its open source or not although it has its advantages. Opera is also a better browser because web standards are a way to show what capabilities the browser has. As I've already outlined why the majority why not all of them ? Also your excluding a hell of a lot of big corporate identities if you don't make web sites accessible fully. Also explain how web standards go against using IE exactly because the way your making it out its as if they do. Even in the old days when the Internet was in its infancy and they were trying to port web browsers and other Internet capabilities to say a games console The first thing they would mention as a measure of the capabilities of the browser was the fact that it supported "replace with standard" e.g HTML 4.0 Java script. By supporting web standards you do not limit your choices you in fact expand your horizons. Even one of Vbulletin's selling points is the fact that its created in 100% XHTML. Point is if you create to standards you ensure that you reach the widest possible audience and not just Internet Explorer. So how does that make me stubborn ? Just so you know I'm not Anti Internet Explorer i just know that the capabilities of a browser is what makes it better

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore. It should be obvious to any web designer that they need to make it work in IE. However, I say that Firefox is now popular enough that making it work with Mozilla browsers is also necessary. Firefox market share is growing by the day. I see my university professors use it. My coworkers and my boss use it. These days, IE and Firefox ARE the standard browsers, Opera/Safari/Konqeuror still non-standard. However, I choose to test my sites in all IE, FF, and Opera. My browser for personal use is my own preference, and is unrelated.

RatTrap said:
What they care about is that they have "a website that works in all browsers" (you will actually hear them say those exact words but what they mean is that it works perfectly in IE and it's also good that it's viewable in the rest of the browsers).
They don't care what browser it is. They want something that works well with 99% of potential customers.

RatTrap said:
...stuff about Microsoft making software easy to use...
Firefox is not as prohibitively hard to use as you depict it, the only difference from IE, is that Firefox requries a download and install step (which, admittedly, many computer users probably don't know how to do). Don't know why you go into this long rant about our girlfriends and grandmas. :plain:

RatTrap said:
If it's about how IE is like this or like that when it comes to JS-Error msgs? i think that is funny because if you really know ecma/js-script then you don't need any more than what the debugger in IE tells you. Sure you can make it easier for yourself using FFs debugger but i hardly feel this is anything to rant about since it's not that much of a diference if you trully know your scripting.
Don't be silly. These are tools, they speed up the coding process. Wouldn't it be fun if your C compiler didn't tell you the error messages, it just gave you a line number and said "Error. You figure it out."? You're a web designer, you know the value of a good user interface, in fact you just ranted on it recently. I think the Javascript Console has an excellent interface. It also has an interactive interpreter. That was my personal choice for choosing FF as my primary browser. Primary. I still test on IE. There is really no reason for you to go insulting others' scripting skills. I am a programmer first, designer second. I certainly know the value of a good debugger.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
whoa.. lot's happend here.

I've been really busy with school and workand stuff and so on so i've been kind of unable to reply although i've looked in this thread a few times but not really read it thru after i wrote my last post untill just now since i have time today..

Well.. all i can say is what i said in the beginning. This is a VERY relative discussion. I never said there shouldn't be a web standard. Of course that would be the best thing in the world for me and for you and for users.

But, standard. Means something is in a certain way. And it's in the same way everywhere (i hope you see the imposability in this). I hope you disagree (coz then this thread will never end ;) ) but that's what it generally means. If something never changes then how can you advance? as you want so much. Yeah you will argue that it is of course relative to WC3's new standards etc. But, who is to say that a company can't release a browser and add functionality that they desire to have? Also functionality that many use and like to use and that works well for them. Who are you or me to say, -they should get back in line and do like the rest of the world!.
I don't think we are qualified to say, this is wrong, this is right. So i feel they should be left to do whatever the hell they want and if they want to create a standard that isn't one decided by WC3 then good for them. It's their app right? Damn i would do it if it was my app. lol.

Then we get to what do users want? they want an application to work. If it's with FF, Opera or IE who gives a flying rats ass.. Right`?

Only problem is, most use IE. And yes, it IS a problem. But that's where we are today and i won't fight against my users. It's like they say "the customer is allways right".

Now what's happend is that the mayority of the users and companies in the known world (i don't know about Mars or Jupiter), use and ONLY use IE. And yes, it IS a problem. But that's where we are today and i won't fight against my users. It's like they say -"the customer is allways right".

Sure there are exceptions from companies that don't use IE at all but there will allways be, check % rates or whatever all you like. It don't really matter to me but all i know is that there will allways be exceptions (like Apple, IBM or whomever) Just as some ppl don't drink Coke, but prefer Pepsi instead (like me). Believe me i know that.

Still, the scenario is pretty simple (maybe highly unlikelly scenario in some cases, but humor me). Let's say your boss calls you up and tells you he's got this great new idéa for a website. But the way you build it doesn't work in IE because you follow full WebStandards and there's 2 or maybe just 1 thing that makes the website not work right in IE.

What do you think your going to tell your boss?

"Oh i'm sorry, IE doesn't work with your idéa because it doesn't support full webstandards." (or somethng like that, maybe your boss tries it out in IE and doesn't get why it don't work and instead he asks you about it, i don't know, who cares, you get the point, i hope)

Your boss will not take you very seriously and think your joking, also he might after laughing wonder if you really want to keep your job.

On the other hand, if you made the website for IE. And if the website didn't work in FF or Opera for some reason.

"Oh i'm sorry, Opera/FF doesn't work with your idéa because the website was made for IE and Opera and FF don't work with everything the same way IE does."

#1, Your boss will not laugh. #2, your boss will not fire you but ask you how long it will take to fix this problem (because it of course HAS to be fixed). #3, and most important. Your boss will take you seriously.

I'm not saying we should just make apps for IE, that's not it.. Even though that's what you thought last time i wrote something like this. Ormaybe i'm really stupid when it comes to explaining what i mean. Anyways, this is a scenario to explain to you how this biz kind of works half the time (for me at least). This isn't maybe the most perfect example and don't take me so literally as you do on my other posts. But you should understand what i'm trying to say with this.

IE is prioritized, FF and Opera aren't. They come in second how much you ever argue with me. It's not allways about webstandards because they don't work 100% on any browser. Since the WC3 Standards aren't really standards in the browsers. It's not like once a new standard is out it works perfectly on all browsers but i think you know that allready.

I try to make sure the websites i build are built using webstandards yeah. But, i work under IE because i know that if it's working in IE i can allways make it work in FF or Opera. If you start building something in FF, sometimes it don't work the same in IE. At least this is my experiance and that is why i've said a few times that this is a VERY relative discussion.

I will of course agree on that in FF you have bugzilla for your vulnerabilities etc. But i think you should try out becoming an MSDN subscriber and log into the forums etc. You will find it's worked pretty well so far and usually you will see problems discovered are not that one sided. For example, you can't even run JS or VB locally in IE unless you tell the browser it's ok to do so (Well there are some ways but you can't just download a website to your desktop and load it and make it do something to your localsystem with JS). This has become the new standard for IE because of SO many troubles with this. At the same time many developers are mad that this is the way it works now, because many nonmalicious applications will not work the way they did before. So sometimes they know about the problems but can't do anything about them because it contradicts with development-standards of new systems or userability-standards. Things aren't just one sided.

ActiveX, you don't seem to like it. My guess is you've never worked with larger systems. I've built a few larger intranet applications that use SQL, ActiveX, Web and diferent types of server software. Mostly MS stuff though i'll agree. I've built an application here and there where you connect machines to SQL databases and do all the feedback on standard computer screens using IE and ActiveX. It works flawlessly (if you know what your doing).

One of the coolest things i've made was create a full webcreating application using an array of 12x17" touchscreens for a conferense room. It worked great and the company that uses it has worked with this for 2.5 years now and use it all the time. The system is very simple, uses an IE browser in fullscreen mode and ActiveX to manipulate all objects on the screen. You can make Word documents and mix them with Excel documents and pictures and drawings and sound and create something. Every object is connected thru a simple SQLdb. Move around stuff, resize, rotate, etc using a pen or your fingers. They use the system on their brainstorming meetings and they keep telling me it's great. There are companies that make these types of systems but it would be much more expensive to buy a big system like this than ask me to build it when it's so easy to do if you know what tools to use.

Of course if someone would ask me to make a system like this and gave me 1 million and 2 years to build it i would make the application in C++ (wich takes much longer time, at least for me).
But since the companies/ppl asking me to build them a system are allways in a hurry and don't want to pay longtime development costs. Things are done in ASP/PHP or even Perl or Java a few times (depends on their own systems).

Anyways, like i said. Webstandards = Great thing. Sadly they don't allways work with everything. That's the only point i'm really trying to make and it's why i try to make sure that websites allways work perfectly in IE and then in other browsers. I do consider Mozilla to be important but of course not as important as IE. Wich to me is simple trueth, webstandards or no webstandards.

PS: If you prefer the debugger in FF that's great, good for you. All i said is that you don't trully need more. Your making it look like IE's JS-error msg are so bad but their not. They never say "There's an Error", they say where and what type. To me that's all i need. Wich is why i say this is such a Relative discussion. I just don't see the need of so much info when i know allready what i need to know with IE's. But like i said, it's all very very relative to the developer/user. :)

matthew

I don't understand the message your relaying here.
All I'm deciphering is the fact that you think WC3 web standards somehow stop things working correctly within Internet explorer.
In short i don't agree :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Pretty much following the web-standard b0rkes things up in IE. Ms should work on their standards support. Standard are good things. Now I'll b0rk out and let you continue this pointless argument :p

OP
smcd

smcd

Thought I'd post this here instead of making a new thread, but Opera is now free?! http://opera.com/free/ for anyone who wanted it and missed the deadline earlier you can go get it. ;)

Trotterwatch

Only thing about Opera that annoys me is the fact that when you scroll using the middle mouse - different to Firefox (Firefox the cursor stays where it was, Opera it goes auto centre), and IMO not as good.

matthew

blizz said:
You all have no excuse to not use Opera now!

I have an excuse i like Konqueror :p.
I know i know its the least advanced of all the html rendering engines however it fits in with kde nicely :icecream:

im just so used to firefox (and certain extensions) now that i cant use anything else, even though i find opera a lot faster and a bit more stable.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
lol

they make us feel like we got a good deal by getting the browser for free, then they "decide" to make it free all of a sudden. That's evil, haha. Ah well, another free browser to give people options to use. Always good to have multiple choices. :)

RatTrap

GODLIKE
i mean that of course it's gotta be free.. it's one of the main reasons many ppl didn't get Opera b4 (me included) :p..