What's new

general help

Bob_Oso

Chief has one question: How?
First and foremost, I am a new member, and I feel as if I am walking amongst the emulation gods! I have learned so much from you guys already. Some of you have even directly impacted the way we emulate today. Awesome!

Anyway, I am stuggling with a few minor things that I cant seem to find specifically in this (massive) forum:

1) I get about 45-50 fps running SFIII. I have already used all the tips that come in the "help" and this forum to speed things up. Considering my specs, does that look to be about the fastest I can run on my system? I just bought this computer this month, and I thought it would be fast enough to run 60. I'm also paranoid that the computer wasn't built correctly, or that it was damaged in shipping. If I cant run 60 with my specs, and I'm in need of upgrades, what do you recommend, more RAM, a diffirent video card?

2) I am also stuggling to get DOA2LE working. I had the original problem of the black screen and crashing, but like a good member, I researched the problem before posting and executed the given instructions. Where most members posted "success" after using the the standard fix (restructuring the cdi. with alternate bin. flies using QuickTool (or something like that)) I have not found the same results. Now, when I run the new "Image.cdi" the emulator will not crash, but will continue running. It will not freeze up or display any error messsages, but the scrren stays black with no sound. Any one else get this problem?

Well, I had a few more questions, but I have already written a novel here, so I'll stop for now and go back to hunting the forum for more tips. Thanks for the help!

OP
Bob_Oso

Bob_Oso

Just wanted to see my quote.
Anyone know where it's from?

Oh yeah, and here are my specs, I thought I had put them in before posting my question above, guess not. (Way to look cool in front of everyone as the new guy, huh?)

Last edited:

onemustfall

Beta tester wanabe
The minimum requirements for Chankast are:

Pentium 4 with at least 1.6 Ghz
256 MB Ram
Windows XP or 2003 (It won't work under any other Windows)
Latest DirectX
Powerful Graphic Card such as Nvidia or Ati
DC Bios (use search engines to find it)

I looked at your system specs... it looks to me like there is nothing wrong with you computer's hardware.
Sorry... i have no other experience with the Chankast DC emulator. All i can say is wait for a newer version or some more advice from this thread's future replys.

ps make sure you have nvidia's latest driver i believe it is version 77.72
go to nvidia.com

-cheers :happy:

Last edited:
OP
Bob_Oso

Bob_Oso

It sounds like your telling me that I should be running 60 fps with my specs. Is that what your saying? Are you saying that perhaps my hardware is malfunctioning because it should be performing better? What kind of tests or programs can I run to check and see if all is in order with my PC? Thanks for your input.
By the way, I made a mistake about my Video Card. Here is what it is called, staight from the web page I purchased it on:

"GeForce FX5500 OC (OverClocked) AGP 256MB DDR GeForce FX5500 OC Graphics Processing Unit with S-Video port."

Thanks again!

Clements

Do not worry about your system. Chankast is a very high-end emulator, and certain games will play slow no matter what PC you have (without tweaks that is). With other games (eg. Soul Calibur), you'll probably hit 60fps most of the time or more.

For the games that do run slow, you can adjust the speed of the emulated Dreamcast processor with the + and - keys on your keyboard to over and underclock it, which can speed up some games.

OP
Bob_Oso

Bob_Oso

Okay, I'll stop being paranoid about my system. I tried the +/- adjustment already, and it got me up about 2 or 3 fps. I'll be content with what I have right now, and anxiously await the next release of chankast with high hopes. By the way Clements, your PC is hardcore. You don't get less than 60fps on SFIII do you? If I were to begin beefing up my system, what would you recommend first?
Also, did you catch my question about DOA2LE? It's not the same question that others have been asking lately here on the forum (though it seems like it at first). I helped the other members who were recently asking by directing them to TheFreeman's directions. It seems that the solution worked for them, but gave me different results. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Clements

My system would probably pull the same FPS (or less) as you in most DC games, since my CPU is probably a tad weaker than yours. I have overclocked my processor, but it is still not a real match for an Athlon64 processor. The graphics card makes very little difference in Chankast, only when using certain resolutions and high quality settings. Your system is GPU limited by a long way and an upgrade would give good results in PC games especially, but in Chankast this is not a problem and the upgrade would have little difference.

As for the DOA2 LE problem, I have it as well and couldn't get it to work, but others as you say have and it's worth trying some of the methods out.

OP
Bob_Oso

Bob_Oso

Cool

Thanks again for the reply. You saved me from running out and buying 512MB of RAM, just to be disapointed by the results. I'll just kick back, relax with what I have and await the future of Chankast. (That and visit the forum, helping others as I have been helped).
Peace.