What's new

Gamecube now fully cracked

Stezo2k

S-2K
vip04xs_s.jpg

Well it looks like it, the first gamecube modchip has now been released, so we probably will see more homebrew stuff for it and possibly piracy

Source: Xbox Scene

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
GameCube..? GameCube..? Hmm. That sounds familiar...*checks under vast piles of CD's and finds a dust-coloured purple box.*
Ah yes, now I remember. So when they start releasing games for it people can pirate them now...

2fast4u

uh, the way i see this the modchip so far doesnt enhance the possibilites any further than they had already been through the pso exploit. still no own-burned dvds, probably only a matter of time though...
/me sighs

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Nintendo will kill this deader than *insert-own-cliche-here*. It's my (admittedly limited) understanding though that the 'Cube just can't be made to read anything other than its own special disk format. Datel had to hack their own compatible boot-type for the AR/Gameshark. Would the laser even be capable of the job of reading non-proprietary standard discs? I don't think that can be forced without any laser-tinkering.

Gorxon

Administrator
I believe it is a 650nm laser, but it's been very long since I was into this stuff so I can't remember for sure. That means however that it can read some DVD media if I'm not mixing things.

As for this chip, as 2fast4u mentioned, it doesn't do anything which cannot be done already really. I could be wrong though of course.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hmm, what stalkid said interests me, is it possible that someone figure out how Datel made their crap AR work, and do the same to make GC Discs (personally, i only back up games i have bought and currently own) or would we need to press them in some undergroud factory in hong kong?

Gorxon

Administrator
In short, no. You need a barcode on the discs which isn't possible to reproduce without special pressing equipment.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Mystic Gohan said:
About time.

In case you didn't know, that's a BAD THING. Don't you ever buy your games LEGALLY? Sheesh, all I've seen lately is you having the latest emulation releases ect. ect. Try buying the actual consoles/games, I hear developers actually prefer it that way. :p
- Modem

2fast4u

A new release group, Mental Cube, have developed a hacked BIOS for Viper GC, called Cobra BIOS.The hacked BIOS will make it possible to play backups from Mini DVD-r, just by swapping with an original disc after the Cobra BIOS on screen prompt!

right, i think maxconsole should be considered a reliable source. by all means thats no good news though.

Last edited:

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
So this requires;
A GameCube.
A chip (which lets face it, Nintendo's legal department will kill dead because it has no other purpose but to circumvent copy protection. Very dead.)
A hacked BIOS (again more fun ahead for Nintendo lawyers. Anyone else curious they chose to show the BIOS screen but NOT actually have a mini-dvdr being booted as "proof"?)
A .GCM (I hear those lawyers a-callin'!)
Mini-DVDr's. (which I still have doubts the laser in the NGC will read correctly if they've kept up the security other than just having proprietary media... I'll concede I'm not up on laser ratings.)
An original paid for NGC game. Well Nintendo make their money from the hardware sales unlike others... whatever the result they get some more cash from this.

Gorxon

Administrator
Ok, this is confirmed as being real. It does boot backus, but the GC is very picky about the media. It also reads normal sized DVD-R's better than the mini's. The chip is also quite expensive (~€60).

And just a friendly reminder, we don't allow talk about where to get illegal things. We do not want this bios spread here on the boards (even though it is not using copyrighted code, it is not clear whether it's built using any copyrighted SDK's etc). Discussion about it is allowed though of course, as long as you stay within the forum's rules :)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hmm, this is extremly interesting as my gamecube is the "family" system, and my little sisters treat the discs like crap, i can just make DVD-Rs for em, but unless you hacksaw the top of the gamecube up, how can you play full sized discs in there, they just don't fit

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
This is interesting indeed. The videos I saw dont make me want to run out and disassemble my gamecube then solder in a chip, and have a shell-less NGC reading real DVDs, but if you can solder it in and boot minis, it means 2 things:

1) Ninty is going to shit a brick
2) The gamecube mod scene should spring up quick.

JinXD

On the plus side, this could mean alot of emulators being ported to run on the cube...... Surreal64 anyone? :D

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
Hexidecimal said:
1) Ninty is going to shit a brick

Thats ironic with the console being a cube and all ;)

I aint really fussed about GC modchips myself, I mean theres always the LAN method, plus mini-dvd-rs are hard to get hold of