What's new

Gamecube emulation starts now?

lario

The Smart One
If a Gamecube-iso where to become available, do you think it would motivate some authors to begin work on a GC-emu?

This is supposedly out tonight:
The_Legend_Of_Zelda_The_Wind_Waker_USA_NGC-STARCUBE
(1145MB)

Last edited:
OP
lario

lario

The Smart One
And btw:

__:_ __/\__ _:__
\ |//(>> * S T A R C U B E * \ / <<)\\| /
\| __/\__ |/
| / \ /__/\__ |
| \ /(______. / \ / |
|___________)\____\ |____/(__________ _______:_______:__
|\ ____/_____ ______\____ | ._ /
_:_\______. | \| _. : |/ /
/ \| | | \| . ___ |\ \
/ _._________ | |\ ______|___/ | \__ \
)/ : \_______|_______: \_______/ |_______| / \
/ | \ . /\ \ \
______:_________)\ _______.__________________/__________\_____ \_)\
/ /______: : ._ / ._ / /
/ |\_______/_ | | |/ / |/ /_____/
\ |/ / | | |\ \ /_______/
\ /_________/___ |_______|/ / _________ \ |
\_____._____/\_/ \/: / ______/\__/ )/ |
: . \( / |
| \ proudly presents |
| |
| |
(1)>> The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (c) Nintendo <<)
| |
| |
| Origin...: USA - NTSC Filename...: S3-ZLDWW.RAR |
| Released.: June 12th, 2003 CDs / Rars.: 1 DVD / 25x50MB |
| Console..: GAMECUBE Format.....: .ISO |
| Source...: GC Optical Disc Supply.....: X & Y |
| |
| URL.......: http://www.zelda.com/gcn/index.html |
| |
| |
(2)>> Game Info: <<)
| |
| The latest Legend of Zelda adventure begins with young |
| Link living a peaceful life on a tiny island. One day, |
| Link witnesses a huge, menacing bird that snatches |
| Link`s younger sister and flies away with her. Link |
| follows in hot pursuit. His search for her sets in |
| motion an epic adventure that will have Link sailing the |
| high seas and searching for answers to the mystery |
| behind her disappearance. |
| |
| |
(3)>> Release Notes: <<)
| |
| No, you won't be able to play this game on your GC, at |
| least for now. But we thought software and hardware |
| hackers would be interested in a GC release for various |
| reasons, so here it is. |
| |
| For this first one, we decided to give you a pure disc |
| dump. But on a GC disc, all the space that's not used is |
| filled with random garbage, which is bad for compression.|
| Any upcoming release from us will have that garbage |
| removed. |
| |
| Coders can have a look at the /maps directory, which |
| contains symbols information, pretty usefull for |
| reverse-engineering. (Many games have such map files) |
| |
(4)>> Greetings: <<)
| |
| Nintendo, Konami, Namco, Capcom, Sega, SCEI, Hudson, |
| Square Enix, Hudson, SNK, Tecmo, Irem & Rockstar Games |
| and all our friends. |
| |
| |
/| |\
/_|\\(>> " Look up at the sky, and try to find us " <<)//|_\
: :

conkerman

conkerman
i think that this is a fake for many reasons...
a) being the only release and with it stating that it cant run on a gamecube.....
b) i believe gamecube spins discs backwards which is why there have been no previous releases...
c)there's no computer that can read the disc and copy it (try it)
d) no

edit: the website that this "news" came from is http://www.gba-nfo.com/ ... i still think it's a hoax

conkerman

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
well, thats not entirely true conkerman, if all it does is spin & read info backward from a typical dvd-rom, it is possible to tweak a dvd rom to spin backwards. seeing as the laser in a drive doesnt care which way it goes it should still be able to read it just the same after its spinning in the right direction.

Tech gurus are always messing around with hardware like that. It shouldnt be hard to make a dvd-rom spin backwards.

Reznor007

conkerman said:
a) being the only release and with it stating that it cant run on a gamecube.....
b) i believe gamecube spins discs backwards which is why there have been no previous releases...
d) no

edit: the website that this "news" came from is http://www.gba-nfo.com/ ... i still think it's a hoax

conkerman

A. Copied PSX discs won't play on a real PSX (without mod chips)
B. Gamecube discs do not spin backwards(easy to tell if you have a real Gamecube)
C. It's not necessary for a computer to read the disc...think hardware probe.
D. You are probably right that it's fake, but it's certainly possible.

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, I have heard that some people have made a cable which connects to the cube, and with it they were able to make homemade code run on it...thuse they could easily have ripped a game. I dunno how true this is, but info is apperantly gonna be released withing a week or two....

-edit-

Did a little bit more research, and yes, this release IS REAL!
For more info hop over to this thread: http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2894

Just do not ask where to get it...

-2nd edit-

Check out this site btw: http://www.gc.gba-nfo.com/
They have made directory listing of the three releases so far (freeloader, action replay and zelda). The dir listings are quite interesting.

OP
lario

lario

The Smart One
conkerman said:
d) no
conkerman

You're right that the Gamecube won't read any homemade discs, that is a good thing, no piracy yet. What I care about is whether this helps Gamecube-emulation, since extraction of games now seems possible (for someone).

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, it basically says that it is true, since many of those people have got their hands on the isos. I have too, and can affirm that the freeloader release is indeed real (as all the others). Just look at the third link i posted and you get all the info there is...

Knuckles

I think that the only way to know if its true or not, it's to wait for an GC emu and try it on it....

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Knuckles said:
I think that the only way to know if its true or not, it's to wait for an GC emu and try it on it....

You're thinking way to far into the future. If somebody realy wants to, they will crack the GC. I've seen things far more complicated than the GC get cracked in shorter periods of time, all it requires is somebody to actualy want to pull it off bad enough.

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
AlphaWolf said:
You're thinking way to far into the future. If somebody realy wants to, they will crack the GC. I've seen things far more complicated than the GC get cracked in shorter periods of time, all it requires is somebody to actualy want to pull it off bad enough.

for this am i totally an agreer!

shroomario.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mmm... interesting.

Someone should try burning that ISO onto a DVD, cutting the edge off it, and loading it from a Freeloader or Action Replay? In theory it should work... IF it's possible. Or better - someone with a Panasonic Q could just pop it on a DVD and load from Freeloader (no cutting required).

I won't believe it's real until I see it running on either real hardware or an emulator though.

How can anyone "confirm" it's real without seeing it ripped with your own eyes? And even then, you can be one of those "in the know" and lie about it so you can really get people going. ;)

Remember the videos some time ago of people booting a GCN from a burned disc? Those were fake - they soon after released a video of a GCN booting from a cookie.

Well, anyway. I reserve judgement until I see it RUN on something.

alexa999

Banned
Tagrineth said:
Mmm... interesting.

Someone should try burning that ISO onto a DVD, cutting the edge off it, and loading it from a Freeloader or Action Replay? In theory it should work... IF it's possible. Or better - someone with a Panasonic Q could just pop it on a DVD and load from Freeloader (no cutting required).

I won't believe it's real until I see it running on either real hardware or an emulator though.

How can anyone "confirm" it's real without seeing it ripped with your own eyes? And even then, you can be one of those "in the know" and lie about it so you can really get people going. ;)

Remember the videos some time ago of people booting a GCN from a burned disc? Those were fake - they soon after released a video of a GCN booting from a cookie.

Why dosent somebody just burn it onto a mini DVD?:ermm:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Delete that request ASAP Alexa(As Soon As Possible) - a dump is the same as a Rom essentially. All the N64 Roms you have are dumps etc.

Trotterwatch

Delete what exactly?

Anyways back on topic - this is indeed interesting news, and could provide some good info towards possible future GC Emulation attempts (Lightknight will be very interested!) Most people who have downloaded this though I'd wager don't have a clue what to do with the information, they just want bragging rights :) or they'll now be scouring the net for GC Emulators.

Davemc

Dave
I bet Lightknight is trying his to make his very own GC 'emulatore' as we speak. Maybe he has support for the never-coming-to gamecube- Banjo Three-ee

Gorxon

Administrator
Tagrineth said:
Mmm... interesting.

Well, you of course have that cool thing called Mini-dvds. Several people have burned the iso to a mini dvd and tried it, but no luck. One guy have also tried to load zelda, then while in game switch the discs, but the GC wants to recheck the barcode (which we cant burn onto a disc), then the laser go to standby mode, so it's a no no. You can also use full size discs on a normal gc, you just have to remove the casing (which several people have done too).

-edit-
Just to add to that, incase you didn't know, the Panasonic drive uses different lasers for the GC disc and the DVD discs afaik. But perhaps you knew this already. As you already said you can put full size discs in it though which makes thins cheaper. Mini-DVD's are quite expensive.
-/edit-

Considering that very many people have these files already should confirm that it is true. The Zelda dump contains much over 1000 files, almost all with different names and people have already extracted audio and boot image data (that little zelda logo and such). Who sane person would record all the audio in Zelda and make files of it? And then make about 1000 other files and make up file names for them? Nah, this is real...

That is always a good stance to take, but I am a believer already :)
An emu will not happen in ages though...and good is that....