What's new

Framerate Capped at 20FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psythik

I just build I new gaming rig, and I'm disappointed by the fact that I'm getting absolutely no performance gain over playing on my old laptop, considering that there's a four year difference between them! Here are the specs of my new rig:

Core 2 Duo e8400 3.6GHz
4GB DDR2 800
512MB AMD Radeon HD 4850
Gigabyte Intel X48 motherboard
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

And here's my old laptop, for comparison (which ran PJ64 just as well as my new machine):

Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT
1GB DDR 266
128MB AMD Mobility Radeon 9700
XP Home

Considering that my new rig can run Crysis on a mix of High/Very High settings, I'm surprised to see that both Fraps and Rice Video plugin show the framerate stay at a steady 20FPS, and never budge (for OoT w/a high-res texture pack it stays at 17FPS)! PJ64 itself reports that the games are running at 60FPS, even though I can tell by the film-like stutteriness that this is clearly not the case.

No matter if I turn on/off "force software T&L", use 16xAF 8xAA or 0xAF 0xAA, run in 1680x1050 or 640x480, even reset all video settings to default - the framerate will never go above 20FPS!

I'm assuming that there's some sort of framerate cap enabled, and I need some way to disable it!

/And yes, if I disable "Limit FPS", the frame rate goes anywhere from 140 to 420 FPS, but then games run way too fast! There's gotta be some way to remove the framerate limit without speeding up everything as a consequence...

Last edited:

Clements

You probably know that even certain PC games have internal caps on framerate. Exactly the same is true with N64 games, especially since the N64 was simply not fast enough for 60 FPS in all games. OoT (NTSC) has a cap of 20 frames per second during 3D scenes (17 FPS for PAL). There is no way of increasing this internal fixed limit.

The NTSC standard operates at 60 fields per second when running at fullspeed, so that's why you are seeing that number being reported by PJ64 in the status bar.

OP
P

Psythik

And all this time I thought it was my crappy laptop holding me back from smooth, 60FPS glory...

Makes me wonder why no sort of motion interpolation has been implemented into PJ64 yet, to at least make the games look like they're running at 40 FPS. Anyone whose used WinDVD's Tridimension feature (or watched a 120Hz TV with "anti-judder") will know exactly what I'm talking about -- essentially, new frames are interpolated and inserted between standard frames, making your average 24FPS DVD look like it's running at 48FPS. I can't possibly see why something like this couldn't be implemented with a plugin (too bad I don't have the coding skills)...

Last edited:

!REVENGE!

Hey, do y'all think this may be the reason why my PJ64 keeps locking my computer out? This SPECIFICALLY happens during intense-CPU moments when entering a store (the FPS decreases) and during some cutscenes. Is there some misconfiguration on optimizing the variable FPS?

By the way, this happens not only in PJ64 but also in Media players like Winamp when I play 2x speed or advance thru some scenes (although I can unlock it by re-pausing or advancing forward a couple frames) but PJ64 seems just fixated.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Hey, do y'all think this may be the reason why my PJ64 keeps locking my computer out? This SPECIFICALLY happens during intense-CPU moments when entering a store (the FPS decreases) and during some cutscenes. Is there some misconfiguration on optimizing the variable FPS?

By the way, this happens not only in PJ64 but also in Media players like Winamp when I play 2x speed or advance thru some scenes (although I can unlock it by re-pausing or advancing forward a couple frames) but PJ64 seems just fixated.
Sounds like your computer just blows. What do you mean, "locking my comptuer out"?

Hehe I'm the one that put that on at Wikipedia ^_^

(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Project64&action=history)
I'm so proud of you. Do you want a cookie? I know I do. :<

!REVENGE!

Sounds like your computer just blows. What do you mean, "locking my comptuer out"?

See original thread. This computer is twice as faster than previous with 4x the RAM (I'm using Acer Aspire just like you), but this one's a dual-CPU. By locking my computer out I mean it just freezes and I can't do anything about it (not even shutdown without unplugging power cable.) Note that Super Smash Bros. takes up way more CPU to run than Zelda (I can't play Super Smash Bros on 1.5 GHz) yet it never froze, but Zelda seems to freeze during parts where it would normally slow down for a second on my other computer as if it can either run at 30 fps or not at all.

Also, I cannot run Zelda6 at ALL on this computer (I could open it on previous but there was some glitch with PJ64 that starts game inside the mayors office with your view fixed on (a plant I believe) and you can't move away.)

This is seriously fucked up.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
OoT is the first, then you have a split going to Wind waker, and in the ther direction you have majora's mask, twilight princess (potentially FSA), link to the past, Oracle games, Links awakening, Legend of Zelda and then Adventure of link to finish the saga off.

ThomasH

Never had the problem my self Psythik. Looks fine to me. I just have it set at native N64 rez and for best results play it on a old tube TV. Looks fine plays great.

AntonJ3000

Swedish EmuTalk Dumbass.
OoT is the first, then you have a split going to Wind waker, and in the ther direction you have majora's mask, twilight princess (potentially FSA), link to the past, Oracle games, Links awakening, Legend of Zelda and then Adventure of link to finish the saga off.

Dude, MM came after OOT...
(Zelda, Adventure of Link, LTTP, Link's awakening, ocarina of time, MAJORAS MASK)

On-Topic: I downloaded the modded 1964 0.85 I saw no difference other than it was going fast as hell and the interface was a bit different...

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Anton, squall is talking about the Zelda canon, not the literal release timeline of the games.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
The Hylian Timeline which places the events of each game chronologically.

The events of Wind waker and Twilight Princess occur at the same time, albeit in Alternate universes, as when Zelda sent link back in time at the end of OoT, it created a paradox where Link no longer existed, Ganon came back and the land flooded. Hence why if you play the second quest, you see the King tell jabu jabu that Link is not of the hero of times, line.

Status
Not open for further replies.