What's new

File replacement in GC iso (for Zelda TP - Russian translation)

Anton

I like beer
I'm translating Twilight Princess to russian, and I have a problem with replacing files in ISO.

This game use *.arc (Yaz0 compressed) files for almost everything, so I need first to de-Yaz0 them, then take de-Yaz0-ed *.rarc and change it (in this game "rarc" files are no "archives", actually - there just a RARC header, no compression.)

I redrew 2 font files (*.bfn) with russian letters (fontres.arc & rubyres.arc files)
I left english letters & I changed only european symbols to needed russian letters. I didn't touch english letters which are similar to russian ones.

But because of changing english letters to almost ALL those european symbols during script translation , Yaz0 compression makes BIGGER file, than english original file. (more "unknown" text for the game, less "known" text - that's why file size is different).

I know (or "I guess", whatever..), when I'll translate at least a half of text, Yaz0 will encode my changed files more accurate and GCTool will let me replace files.
(more similar bytes = better compression).

SO:
All I need, for now - is this a way to replace files in Gamecube iso somehow, to the BIGGER file size, than original files. Is this possible somehow?
Any way to extract iso and THEN RUN IT EXTRACTED on Dolphin?
Or replace files to the bigger ones, somehow...?
I'd like to check my translation ingame, and not translate it like blind...

Now I replacing german script in PAL version of the game (german's script file sizes are a bit bigger than english ones, but this is temporary decision...)

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I know, there was a tool, that let you unpack and repack a GC iso, but I don't know its name or where I did found it.
I will research and reply.

OP
Anton

Anton

I like beer
Thanx! I'll wait )

I've searched such tool too (to be able repack iso back), but no success yet..

OP
Anton

Anton

I like beer
I've found some tool - "GC iso creator" (GCIC 1.0), but Dolphin doesn't load iso, created by this tool.

First I extracted a whole iso with GCTool,
then repack it back (without changing any files, for now) with GCIC.

Dolphin can't load such iso... (it tells me that my new iso is invalid or not a GC/Wii iso)
But GCTool opens it, though...
Any suggestions? Please...

Last edited:

Thircase

¿Mount the ISO in a Virtual Drive?
¿Make something like did this guy in Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution at Romhacking?

To translate this game, i used several software such as : AFS Explorer, WinHex, Gc-Tool and Firefox.

How to Use :

Use ppf-o-matic3.exe to patch your backup copy of the game (An unshrunk ISO).

The patch is a ppf file. I don't know how to a patch like that.

Last edited:
OP
Anton

Anton

I like beer
Maybe that game have another file structure than Zelda, maybe there are no archived script files (files with text), maybe something else.. I don't have this game, so I can't check it...

OP
Anton

Anton

I like beer
Ok, the problem is solved, at last...
There are kind people in this world )
Now I have a tool - GCR (GameCube Rebuilder), similar to GCTool, but with ability to build a new working ISO from previously extracted files.

Tool's basic features:
- extact (export) files and folders from ISO;
- replace (import) files in ISO;
- extract the whole ISO;
- after replacing files (if needed) in any file manager, make (re/build) a new working ISO from previously extracted ISO's files;
- wipe garbage from ISO;
- change banner information and export banner to a Windows BMP,
edit it and insert it back.

It will be released soon.

Last edited: