What's new

EmuTalk's Complete Plugin Archive

Iconoclast

This may (might not) seem kinda stupid, but hold the grenade launchers for a sec.

I was thinking, maybe EmuTalk could have a version of the N64 Plugins archive as a self-extractor, all the versions of all the plugins in one compression archive file (one archive for each operating system I mean but yeah)?

Such an archive would contain obviously all files supplied with the official release of each version, unmodified and organized into folders.

Example:
  • N64_Plugins_(Windows).exe
    • Video
      • Rice's Video Plugin
          • RiceVideo5.9.9.dll
          • RiceVideo5.9.9.ini
          • Readmes and whatnot
        • 1964 Homepage.url
        • Plugin Discussion.url
        • INI Suggestions.url
      • glN64
        • glN64 Homepage.url
        • Yada all the versions with the dlls and readmes in them like Rice's
      • Jabo's Direct3D
        • Jabo's Direct3D.html
File "Jabo's Direct3D.html" would contain the below HTML code.

Code:
<TITLE>Jabo's Direct3D</TITLE>

Jabo's Direct3D is a Project64 download, and all Project64-specific files can be downloaded from the <A HREF=http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/>Project64 downloads page</A>.  All versions of private and public releases are available to Project64 donators.  If you have a PayPal account, you can <A HREF=http://www.pj64-emu.com/support-us/5-how-can-i-get-project-1.7.html>donate to the Project64 team</A>.
And of course every other video/audio/input plugin on the EmuTalk plugins archive.

This would save the downloading and make installing plugins to the emulator easier, would it not? Except I'm not sure if you can have the MSVCP71/70 and BMGLIB and all those other DLL files in there. Just throwing this out there is all.

Okay, now shoot.

mudlord

Banned
That sounds plausible.

In practise, a self-extractor will be easy to do (having wrote a installer for my plugin builds). Only problem is licensing.

Project64 plugins can ONLY be distributed with the host emu, so it counts that out. Other thing to consider is logistics (file size)....

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Right, I have so far used .html files with shortcuts to the Project64 downloads page and the donations page instead of actually putting the actual DLL file in there.

Now, because of being overloaded with a couple things right now, neither yesterday nor today have I been able to produce this. Input so far I have finished.

One question: How come plugin downloads usually never come with the msvcp/vcr files? Is it illegal to provide them with the plugins?

Of course, copies of these exact files won't go in every plugin folder needing them; that's what I'll put a readme in the self-extractor root folder for.

mudlord

Banned
How come plugin downloads usually never come with the msvcp/vcr files? Is it illegal to provide them with the plugins?

Its not illegal to provide those runtime files (I have a list of what DLLs MS allows for redistribution), possibly they are only not redist'ed for ease of use purposes (only redisting one or two DLLs, to make it easier on the end-user).