What's new

Emulator missing emulation/and bugs

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I've noticed some few other things after playing some on the real n64. And also I remembered some new bug which I don't think I mentioned. But it's just that pj doesn't even emulate mario or zelda64 properly!

In Mario64, when it's going fast; like using the shell, the picture seems not to be able to catch up. Compare Pj with Corn and you'll see. At least I saw it.

In Zelda64, as I remember, it didn't show the camera correctly once. When beating one of the ghosts (I think it was the first one) where you get the bow in the forest temple, when beating it, the camera zoomed at the bottom of the pillar (or whatever it is) that holds the fire. It's supposed to zoom at the top!!

Also, these things are missing at Zelda MM:
It seems that it has some problems with sound and timing as well!

1) The background at the clock tower seems to have some layer upon it, I'm not really sure but, it makes so that the stars in the background doesn't seem so edgy as it does in the emulator. I cannot really explain this better...

2) When beating the boss in Ikana Temple, there is a problem. When the skelleton which says "Feeble" to the other, is supposed to sound when saying all the "Feeble"-s. However, there is some sound which it doesn't emulate. Only the first sound. Can't really explain this either...

3) In the end of the game, just after beating the skull kid, there is a timing problem. I don't remember correctly, but, there's a text which is supposed to be invisible until shown, so that you can't see the text spell up until it's done. I think it's Tatl who says it. I can still remember it's blue.

4) Probably the worst problem and the coolest effect--yet hard to explain. This effect is used by cool situations in the game. First I'll describe the effect, then I'll try to say where you can see it. Right, first, the effect seems to make multiple images of the screen, and make it a little slower, so that it looks cool. I can't describe it much better. And you'll see it pretty much everywhere in the game. Some places I know of:

- When playing the song of soaring, this effect appears as Link soars to another statue.
- When turning the stone temple upside-down, this effect appears.
- When the king's skeleton head grabs Link and the king slashes him with his sword, this effect happens.
- In the end of the game, when battling Majora's Mask, when it assumes diffrent forms, this effect appears.

There also seems to be some effect at the moon as slowing it down a little. And about the king; beat the first two skeletons and wait until he releases his head. Then just let it grab you.

Hope this helps to make emulation more accurate!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yes it doesn't do the motion blur, I doubt it ever will either (unless it's CFB? I haven't checked)... that effect was overused in ZeldaMM IMHO, don't remember seeing it any other game though.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Smiff said:
yes it doesn't do the motion blur, I doubt it ever will either (unless it's CFB? I haven't checked)... that effect was overused in ZeldaMM IMHO, don't remember seeing it any other game though.
Awwww... that effect was cool.
Hope it will be emulated someday.
What makes it so hard to emulate?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
I think it's safe to say even w/o consulting Jabo that stuff like that is very hard to emulate... I'll add this to list but really don't expect it.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Smiff said:
I think it's safe to say even w/o consulting Jabo that stuff like that is very hard to emulate... I'll add this to list but really don't expect it.
Oh, thanks. I really don't expect anything. But it would be cool. It's almost as I prefer to play it on the real n64 than on pj64.
Perhaps, could there be some way of creating a smiliar effect on a pc-game? I know almost nothing of DirectX, but it would br possible if it is on the n64, could it not?

Also, the effect on the background; is this motion effect, too? 'Cuz it looks messed up there, too.

It had problems with timing, too. And sound-emulation. Boy... I just didn't think that was possible. I jused to think that only the graphics was the part which was hard and required all attention rather than the sound. Hehe... well, the timing needs fixing, too, I guess.

Last edited: