What's new

DX6 vs DX7 vs OGL

nick_danger

2 Fast, not that Furious
As you can see below, I have a GeForce 256 64MB DDR graphics card. To my knowledge it only natively supports DirectX6 optimizations, does that mean if I use Jabo's D3D7 plugin that my CPU will have to do all the extra work? Mostly all my ROMs work using either one, but some - like No Mercy, WWF:WM2K don't work with D3D7...

OpenGL stuff never seems to work correctly if at all.

Hmm, is there a place where I can read just how the N64 architecture is replicated by an emulator? There are so many settings inside the plugins that I just simply don't understand... "Emulation for Dummies", perhaps? I feel like a lot of my problems would be solved if I just knew more about it.

jollyrancher

PJ64 and 1964 both come with good FAQ guides that describe the different settings. A VERY short answer to the DX6 vs DX7 is that your card can work fine with both of them, it's just that Jabo's most recent video plugin happens to use DX6 unlike his older DX7 plugin (don't ask me why) and since it is more recent and optimized, it has fewer graphic glitches.

OP
nick_danger

nick_danger

2 Fast, not that Furious
Thanks, I read those FAQs and they weren't quite detailed enough. Defining one word with another word you don't know makes things difficult. Meh.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
A GeForce2 should work with DirectX 7. I believe it only has problems with DirectX 8.1 games, such as GTA III where the processor will do more work and for full speed, probably required to lower to resolution to 800x600.

Mime

If the chipset for your video card is nVidia, that should be work fine in OpenGl like my, for any game. Just get the last release of the drivers from nVidia's site.