What's new

DVD Burning

bcrew1375

Can anyone suggest a brand/type/speed of DVD burnable media that will work with most drives? I've got a burned one to read in the writable drive(of course), and I've got the same one to read in my desktop PC, but it refuses to read in my notebook's drive. Any certain brand I should buy, or way I should burn it?

xneoangel

Persona User
Maxell DVD's are high quality i have never experienced problems with them oh and when you burn any kind of DVD burn it at 2x or 4x max if you burn at higher speeds you can have some problems with the DVD's on the future.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Tried a Maxell DVD my cousin burned. Seemed to work without problems. I'm not sure if they're +R or -R, but I'm guessing +R. Guess I'll have to buy some of those. Man, I thought Sony was a good brand :/.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
bcrew1375 said:
Can anyone suggest a brand/type/speed of DVD burnable media that will work with most drives? I've got a burned one to read in the writable drive(of course), and I've got the same one to read in my desktop PC, but it refuses to read in my notebook's drive. Any certain brand I should buy, or way I should burn it?
If this disc was a RW (rewritable) then a dvd rw drive would be needed to read it (as most DVD-ROM's can't read rw discs). If it was a +/-R (recordable) then any dvd drive should be able to read it. It's also possible you had an error in the burn, it happens from time to time.

Last edited:
OP
B

bcrew1375

Hmm, I just bought some Maxell DVDs. Tried burning one, but still nothing! Is there a certain way I'm supposed to burn it? I've been using ISO, should I use UDF? I don't get it, the drive won't even spin up.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
For ISO image burning, I use DVD Decryptor (google for it) and set mode to ISO -> Write, then just burn. It's easy and it's free. I've never encountered any problems with it.:)

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Depends on how old your DVD-ROM drive is. DVD was out long before DVD +/- R was standardized, so don't fool yourself into thinking that "any" DVD drive can read recordables.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
My six year old Creative 6x DVD-ROM has no trouble with recordables, as well as my 7 year old 4x Memorex DVD-ROM, which both were made years before DVD recording was possible, so with those 2 drives being able to, I'd say the majority of older drives shouldn't have any problems reading a standard recordable (provided it's been finalized in the burn).;)

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
My 4-year old LG (8x?) doesn't :(. However, I don't burn DVD recordables, I have only tried DVD-R's from a friend.... But you might be on to something with the finalizing, as I know you need the same thing for CD-ROMs.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
bcrew1375 said:
Man, I thought Sony was a good brand :/.
To my experience, it never is. I've only had troubles with sony stuff, so I've made a note not to buy anything of sony brand if it can be avoided.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Okay, I'm looking at the two discs side-by-side. The one that does work(my cousin's) is a Maxell 1-4x DVD+R 4.7 GB. The one that doesn't(mine) is a Maxell 1-8x DVD+R 4.7 GB High-Grade. So, can the speed make a difference in whether the media is readable even if they're both burned at low speed? Another factor I've been considering is if it's my DVD burner, as these weren't made on two different burners. I also tried a little tip I found on the net about bit-setting, but that didn't seem to change anything.

xneoangel

Persona User
Hmm thats weird i have used Maxell DVD's 4x and 8x since i got my burner and i have used those on several of my friends PC and they work just fine also i always burn my discs at a 2x speed.