What's new

DVD a Next-Gen rival?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
..To HD-DVD and Blu-ray? A new technology allows for 4 layers now, and in the future, even more. This can yield up to 20 GB of data on a single disc. There are also specifications for 24GB, 30GB, 40GB and 48GB discs.
Unfortunately, as all new technology, this comes at a price. You need a new player to play the contents of these discs (and HD material of course!). However, these new players, which have been announced, are far more cheaper than HD-DVD/Blu-ray, starting at $200 and $250 MSRP! Forget HD-DVD and Blu-ray (and PS3), and get one of these for all your HD needs instead!
I'm sure the movie industries will embrace it seeing as it's very cheap and DVD is a real hit.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=6453&catid=1

Toasty

Sony battery
But... but... it doesn't use blue lasers! :p I'd venture a guess that normal dual-layer DVDs would probably be perfectly suitable for a good number of HD films, so long as a more modern/efficient codec (IE H.264) were used. But, the entertainment industry likes to assume that all its customers are swimming in money.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Heh. I still think it doesn't compete with currently new media formats. They have better protection against scratching, and are able to yield more data. Besides, when people move on to newer technology, they don't cling to an old format to do it.;)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

I see no disadvantage to DVD against the new formats, save for maybe, space. Sure, we'll get to those formats in due time, but at this time they're far too expensive and buggy. So let DVD live a little longer I say!

Cyberman

Ok Guys you should pay a bit of a attention to the stealth trick Divx pulled on the HD people.

What? Huh? Ehh?
You don't need a new (freaking) HD player to play HD content <-- read this several times. Any DVD player that has that Divx thing on there is actually a Divx HD player. So 480p 720p and 1080p encoded Divx movies can play with menus and cutesy add ons just like irregular HD-Blue Splay media do. The difference is it's a regular DVD. You can encode 8 hours regular DVD (720x480) and 2 hours HD content on a single layer DVD. 2 layer DVD of course doubles this. Essentially you can make MUCH better quality media to play in these MUCH cheaper players. :D

Cyb
http://doom9.org
and hit Divx to find out more :D

smcd

Given that knowledge, should we expect a BD/HDDVD-2-DVD program sometime? :D That'd be hilarious

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
I see no disadvantage to DVD against the new formats, save for maybe, space. Sure, we'll get to those formats in due time, but at this time they're far too expensive and buggy. So let DVD live a little longer I say!
Who says Blu Ray is buggy? So far, standalone players (as well as the PS3) get faster loading times and a better picture compared to HD-DVD.;)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Ok Guys you should pay a bit of a attention to the stealth trick Divx pulled on the HD people.

What? Huh? Ehh?
You don't need a new (freaking) HD player to play HD content <-- read this several times. Any DVD player that has that Divx thing on there is actually a Divx HD player. So 480p 720p and 1080p encoded Divx movies can play with menus and cutesy add ons just like irregular HD-Blue Splay media do. The difference is it's a regular DVD. You can encode 8 hours regular DVD (720x480) and 2 hours HD content on a single layer DVD. 2 layer DVD of course doubles this. Essentially you can make MUCH better quality media to play in these MUCH cheaper players. :D

Cyb
Are you really certain? With standalone players, there's usually a limit to the maximum resolution they can decode and output (plus there's no HDMI for Digital Freaks). 1080p is really expensive to decode (well, at least H264), so I am uncertain they can decode it at proper speed.

Who says Blu Ray is buggy? So far, standalone players (as well as the PS3) get faster loading times and a better picture compared to HD-DVD.;)

Ah, you misunderstand me. I meant both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Both players are still expensive, buggy and lacking features that are in the spec. The discs are small, doesn't usually contain much features, yada yada. In other words, unless you get a PS3 for gaming purposes, the standalone players just aren't worth it right now.
And I shudder to think if something new in the spec would render the old players useless.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Ah, you misunderstand me. I meant both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Both players are still expensive, buggy and lacking features that are in the spec. The discs are small, doesn't usually contain much features, yada yada. In other words, unless you get a PS3 for gaming purposes, the standalone players just aren't worth it right now.
And I shudder to think if something new in the spec would render the old players useless.
Have you ever even USED either type of disc? I've already played movies on both formats, and neither one has ever given any inclination that they are "buggy". Seems to me that you like to call anything you don't like "buggy".;)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Spare me...
Go read any review out there. These stand alone players aren't exactly "angels." Missing features, expensive, and so on. And remember that movie video compression is not an easy thing. Especially interlacing. What may not show in one movie may show in another movie.
And they're slow, aren't they? Takes long to load.

gokuss4

Meh...

What? Huh? Ehh?

Cyb

Site doesn't work, but this sounds interesting. I want to find out more. You can actually play DivX videos in HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) on a regular DVD player that supports DivX? Well.. I'd imagine 1080p taking up a lot more room... but in any case, this sounds like sony or microsoft wouldn't like this so much. Hell, I'd bet there are ways to extract HD-DVD's and BD's and convert them from the opposite of eachother, and put it on a certain disc. The platform wars would go to shit a little bit maybe if that happen.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

You can actually play DivX videos in HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) on a regular DVD player that supports DivX? Well.. I'd imagine 1080p taking up a lot more room...
Well, space problems aside, decoding HD material takes a lot more processing power and AFAIK, the players weren't designed for it. Most of them anyway.

Hell, I'd bet there are ways to extract HD-DVD's and BD's and convert them from the opposite of eachother, and put it on a certain disc. The platform wars would go to shit a little bit maybe if that happen.

A disc is a disc. Compression is compression. They're utilizing either MPEG2 or MPEG4, so either way, you can rip the contents and watch it on a computer or a DVD player (if it supports MPEG4). Although it might not play H264 material on a DVD player...

gokuss4

Meh...
Well, space problems aside, decoding HD material takes a lot more processing power and AFAIK, the players weren't designed for it. Most of them anyway.

A disc is a disc. Compression is compression. They're utilizing either MPEG2 or MPEG4, so either way, you can rip the contents and watch it on a computer or a DVD player (if it supports MPEG4). Although it might not play H264 material on a DVD player...

I meant, convert hd-dvd into blu-ray, and then burn that on a blu-ray disc, or convert blu-ray to hd-dvd and burn it on hd-dvd.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

I meant, convert hd-dvd into blu-ray, and then burn that on a blu-ray disc, or convert blu-ray to hd-dvd and burn it on hd-dvd.

Quite possible... the only thing that would set them apart may be... container, layout on the disc and encryptions...
But the movie and sound data itself is according to specs, which both discs support.
Though it's all speculation, I would say it's probably 99% probability that this is true.