What's new

DS/PSP emulation

enbob89

In the future, do youi think a DS emulator would be possible? Somehow incorporating the touch screen and possibly the mic?
For the mic, you could obviously have your own mic attached to the PC and for the touch screen, I was thinking you could use the mouse somehow.
Likewise, when do you think we'll see fully functional PSP emulators for PC?

Clements

Can't see why not. It's just a question of when. The PSP will probably be difficult to emulate as it has specs near to that of the PS2, the emulators of which do not reach 5fps in games on high-end PCs. DS is awkward due to the two screens and one being touch screen. I would doubt the mic will be emulated since the N64 mic is also unemulated.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Agreed, I don't think we'll see a compatible PSP emulator for about 3-5 years or so, I mean it took 5 Years for the dreamcast...

DS, yes, it's possible. It would require a similar amount of work if you were emulating the n64, but like Clements said, there are slight complications, but i doubt all games require 2 screens for a decent experience

OP
E

enbob89

Stezo2k said:
i doubt all games require 2 screens for a decent experience

i think most will. even if one screen is just a map or something, i think both screens will play a significant role in every game. having two screen with an emulator isnt that inconcievable. there are gba emulators with which there are two screens for multiplayer. the real problem is the touch screen.

Stezo2k

S-2K
enbob89 said:
i think most will. even if one screen is just a map or something, i think both screens will play a significant role in every game. having two screen with an emulator isnt that inconcievable. there are gba emulators with which there are two screens for multiplayer. the real problem is the touch screen.

Yeah, I was just saying, not all would require 2 screens. The touch screen could be emulated, i spose you could use the mouse as a substitute if programmed well

Gorxon

Administrator
Who would want to emulate the PSP anyways? Just buy a PS2 ;)

Seriously though, it is a portable and I believe very many of the games you'll find as non portable versions on the PS2. Hence it isn't exactly the same way as with the GBA, which had many very nice exclusives. We'll see though, of course...

As for the DS, I don't think an emulated version would be anything like the experience you (hopefully) get playing a DS. Just for concept though, I think a DS emulator is very interesting. Two CPUs working together as they do in the DS has got to be a little challenge.

Gorxon

Administrator
A whole lot. The GBA titles ported were mostly pre-generation titles, i.e. SNES titles. Of course you can emulate the SNES games on the PC instead, but I didn't have the ports in mind. There are many good GBA exclusives that are well worth playing (of course), and the SNES titles were to many people "new" games. With the PSP however, the ports will probably come from PS2 so it will be from a current generation console. Easier to get tired of the games as it's something that you have "played recently". Don't take what I said so seriously though, I am sure that the PSP will have many great exclusives...which worries my wallet a bit ;)

Emulating the PSP will certainly be interesting I am sure, but I believe many people would rather focus on the PS2. Although the PSP could be an easier challenge, but that's hard to tell right now.

smegforbrain

Well, I haven't delved too much into what is going to be available for the PSP (I don't plan on getting one), but one title I'm aware of will be a Dynasty Warriors game. But, from the sound of things, it may be a new game altogether, and not a port of a previous DW title.

Word has it though that Koei will also put out a DW game for the DS too.

quzar

Clements said:
Can't see why not. It's just a question of when. The PSP will probably be difficult to emulate as it has specs near to that of the PS2, the emulators of which do not reach 5fps in games on high-end PCs. DS is awkward due to the two screens and one being touch screen. I would doubt the mic will be emulated since the N64 mic is also unemulated.

PSP being near as powerful as the PS2 is Sony hype. Remember before the PS2 came out, it was supposed to push 10x as many polys as the DC? pfft.

Stezo2k said:
Agreed, I don't think we'll see a compatible PSP emulator for about 3-5 years or so, I mean it took 5 Years for the dreamcast...

the Dreamcast wasnt in very high demand at all since you could easily play all your pirated games on the real deal, which was very cheap, and still is. Also, every person who had started on a DC emulator quit for multiple reasons early on. I respect Itoledo a lot more than the chankast team for his DCemu in SDL that actually emulates the dreamcast as opposed to playing the commercial games for it.

Stezo2k

S-2K
quzar said:
the Dreamcast wasnt in very high demand at all since you could easily play all your pirated games on the real deal, which was very cheap, and still is. Also, every person who had started on a DC emulator quit for multiple reasons early on. I respect Itoledo a lot more than the chankast team for his DCemu in SDL that actually emulates the dreamcast as opposed to playing the commercial games for it.

Ok then, bad example, lets say PS2 emulation, i mean the ps2s been out nearly 4 years, and the PS2 is the most popular console at present. Progress has been made in emulating it i agree, but to be able to play the games at a decent frame rate, we need to wait for more optimisations/better hardware to come out.

It'll be a similar case with the PSP

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
Who knows, maybe using a PS2 emulator we will be able to use PSP games/software (something like the DC emus and the NAOMI hardware).

foogy

I think that DS emulation will start up fairly quick. So much knowledge is known about the Arm cpus in the System. Sure it has 2 cpus, but so do many other consoles (N64, GC, Saturn, ok bad examples). Prolly about 2-3ghz~ to run such an emulator. But, then again what do I know, I've never coded anything in my life. Thats just my opinion as a bystander of emulation.

Lets talk about PS3 emulation....