What's new

Dreamcast copyright protection question.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I work at my local EB Games and we just got some Dreamcasts in on trade. I didn't hop onto the bandwagon when they first came out but I figure for $15, you can't go wrong, right? Anyway, here is my question, I remember reading a while back that some people cracked the protection on the Dreamcast CDs and that some of the earlier Dreamcasts can actually play burnt games, does anybody know when Sega changed the Dreamcasts to prevent this? If memory serves correctly it was somewhere around November of 2000. I'd really like to get this Dreamcast but the games are so hard to find, seems that way to me at least, that I'd like to get one that I could play burnt games on. Thanks.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Well damn, looks like I'm going to have to pass on them then. They oldest one that we have is November 2000. :/

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
i think DCEmualtion.com can tell you exactly when, it may be november, i cant be 100% sure, you may ok, and if not, grab a whole setup on ebay for like 50 bucks with games controllers etc.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
wasn't there a boot cd? i know my friend had one of those
and there is a 5-wire solder-in modchip, its around somewhere :) not mentioning cus it may be against the rules, btw, can someone link me to the rules?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
About half the December 2000 Dreamcasts are incapable of running CD-R media (I'm referring to the legal homebrewn stuff!).

Everything with a manufacturing date before December 2000 can run CD-R just fine.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
So you need a boot CD to play commercial games that are on CDR then? I've never played around with boot discs, how do they work? Is it just another CDR that you pop into the system then switch it for the game? I don't want to know where to get them, just curious as to how these things work. :p

aprentice

GogoTheMimic said:
So you need a boot CD to play commercial games that are on CDR then? I've never played around with boot discs, how do they work? Is it just another CDR that you pop into the system then switch it for the game? I don't want to know where to get them, just curious as to how these things work. :p

$15 for dreamcast games? they go for like a buck or two on ebay, they have completely lost their value :p

bennykurns

Shitman
I dont know what the manufacture date on my old dreamcast was but i but it in december of 2001 at the local wal-mart :p . It came with 2 or 3 sonic games, and it ran every cd-r i threw at it. Emulators and homebrew. BTW, did anyone take a look at that Super Famicast emulator? Looks pretty promising!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
GogoTheMimic said:

Are you really that fucking dense? I even specifically pointed out I was talking about homebrewn applications, and maybe you should consider it too. Even if people know instinctively what you're really referring to, it doesn't hurt to follow the rules and look good for legal purposes. >_>

Anyway, most Dreamcast applications at this point have boot code right on the image already, no boot disc required.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
aprentice said:
$15 for dreamcast games? they go for like a buck or two on ebay, they have completely lost their value :p

No, the system is 15 bucks. I ended up getting it today, with my employee discount it was like $13. lol Manufacture date is May of 2000 so it looks like I'm in bussiness. I'm assuming dcemulation has homebrew games on it, I haven't had a chance to look too deeply into it. Thanks for the help guys.