What's new

Download speed

Romboy

http://www.stormfront.org
Martin, what exact connection do you have (dsl, T3, etc). I think we all want to know your secret for getting it for free, heh.

Martin

Administrator
That's impossible. Blame the program your downloading with or/and Windows. You're just seeing that speed when starting a download, but it'll quickly drop to 56k speeds.

Martin

Administrator
Actually, in theory you can reach 7KB/s. 1 byte = 8 bit, hence:

56Kbit/s = 7KB/s.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Romboy said:
Martin, what exact connection do you have (dsl, T3, etc). I think we all want to know your secret for getting it for free, heh.

T3 maybe, but considering it's probably a shared connection, more likely it's OC3 or higher..

Stezo2k

S-2K
it stayed like it for 20 min. that isnt my fastest tho, i got 22Kbs on direct connect for 10 min without dropping. Direct connect seems to be very fast for me, the fastest ive had on anything else is 12Kbs without droping, and that was on kazzaa light.

Stez

Trotterwatch

22kbs, and 12kbs is an impossibility on a 56k modem even when compression is added into the equation.

The only thing you are actually seeing, is the software you are using not working out the download speed correctly.

Stezo2k

S-2K
i know dude. but also i have overcloked my modem connection speed to 115k using registry changes (i got some doc on how to do it on direct connect) so it always connects to 115k.
I duno if that effects your theory but i forgot to tell ya

Stez

Trotterwatch

You can't overclock a modem.

What you have actually done is change your port speed (this is how fast your modem talks to your PC, and not how fast your modem talks to other PCs; on the net).

It doesn't connect at 115k, if it tells you that - that is because your modem drivers are reporting the Port speed rather than the actual connection speed.

Modems operate at a maximum of 56k, which translates to as someone said earlier around 7k per second max. Bear in mind to get that kind of speed your phoneline would have to be perfect - and you would have to live right next door to your telephone exchange.

Stezo2k

S-2K
ah i understand now thanx dude :) well i do live quite near a telephone exchange thats prob why my download speeds are quite higher than average