What's new

DOS in WinXP

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Heya...
I do know that Windows XP is free of any Dos basis...
But as far as I can remember I was always able to run Dos programms without problems...
But since some time....always when I run a dos execution like zsnes, and want to exit then, the screen turns black (the monitor actually turns off!) and nothing else happens....no back to windows...and I can't do anything, either...no combination...nothing...the only thing I can do is reset :-/
Can anyone help me with this?

Clements

ZSnes DOS is incompatible with XP. Even if you use command prompt, I think.

Try using the latest ZSnes WIP, using the 640X480 DR video mode, high priority mode and auto-frame rate on. I was capable of playing games at 12fps, as the auto-frame rate made it fast enough to be playable.

Or failing that, Snes9x 1.39mk3b or Sneese 0.8.

OP
Engeljaeger

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Ah...it's not compatible.......
But...what's with other DOS-executions...if I remember right, I didn't have that problem in former times...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Engeljaeger said:
Heya...
I do know that Windows XP is free of any Dos basis...
But as far as I can remember I was always able to run Dos programms without problems...
But since some time....always when I run a dos execution like zsnes, and want to exit then, the screen turns black (the monitor actually turns off!) and nothing else happens....no back to windows...and I can't do anything, either...no combination...nothing...the only thing I can do is reset :-/
Can anyone help me with this?

Uhm... ZSNES has had an official Windows release for a very, very long time, deary. Just download the latest ZSNESW on zsnes.com and you'll be fine.

The Windows version even has the added bonus of running some features faster on faster processors than the DOS version.

OP
Engeljaeger

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
*lol*..thanks for the advice, but I already know there's a win-version...I'm using ZSNES for many years no...
But take a look at my specs and you'll know why I'm more interested in the Dos-version ;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Engeljaeger said:
*lol*..thanks for the advice, but I already know there's a win-version...I'm using ZSNES for many years no...
But take a look at my specs and you'll know why I'm more interested in the Dos-version ;)

In a Windows NT environment (2000 and XP included) the Windows version is faster than the DOS version in 9x... at least, it was for me. :flowers:

In 9x, the DOS version would slow down in 640x480x16 with 2xSaI and VSync/Triple buffering, on my 800MHz P3. Windows version on 2000 and XP doesn't do that.

You should get 60fps at pure 640x480, no guarantees about filters though (I suspect 'Interpolation' combined with Scanlines - 50% looks good IMO - should run decent).

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
WinNT/2000/XP doesn't have dos. It has an emulated dos environment, the "command prompt," but it doesn't run nearly anything properly, especially with XP. :plain:

I miss dos. :geek: