What's new

DOOM 3, Half-Life 2: GameCube abscence!

scotty

The Great One
Nintendo will probably not get Doom 3 on its console. However I am not surprised that Xbox can because Xbox is basically using a pentium procesor (not sure what speed) to run its games. I am sure that the graphics can be adjusted properly with a little bit of fixing.

I am really looking forward to Doom 3's release (I heard August 3rd). I will buy it for sure. I havent heard a lot about the internet gaming for this game, but I am assuming its going to be a very good experience.

CY:G

CrazyYatta said:
Whoa, i can't belive someone let this slip through the cracks. I can HARDLY belive that that is what nintendo is thinking. They have alot of games that aren't Kid friendly. They just released serious sam a while ago on, it, and they have other games like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness.

Has anyone thought that maybe it could be the capacity of the GC disc thats in the way of this? I mean, 1.4 or so gigs, vs what, 4+ gigs? I dont think they could do as much as they would with other systems. And even if they could pull it off, i dont think the GFX would be as impressive. It'd probably move the audience to the other systems, and they'd be out alot of money.

Thats the thing. The purpose for them to put it on a console is to reach the audience that either cant afford that stuff, or dont feel like going through the expense of buying all that crap. All u need is one of those consoles that these games are gonna be on (Which are dirt cheap now), and the game, which will most likely be $50. Where as, to get the experience ur talkin about, u need fork out some big wads of cash imo. And as for the people who dont know a lick of what their buying, thats not a good idea. Probably end up being ripped in buying some old Alienware, thinkin that since the case is so badass, the system must be to. Anyways, in the end, the cube is done for. It'll most likely go the way of the DC (seems to be that way). Of course, like someone noted earlier, it does have its games. I SAY, if their not gonna make online games anymore, make more freakin LAN GAMES! Metroid Prime 2 better be LAN enabled, or else nintendo really is as dumb as theyve been acting recently. I WANT SOME BBA ACTION!!! But i just dont think those games were meant to be on the GC. I wouldnt buy em. I'd get em for Xbox =P.

BTW, i like ur avatar CY:G. i see u diddle daddle with Photoshop. Don't u hate how stokes end up being rounded around corners? Annoying. U think they would have gotten that option in even with CS, but noooo. anyways, im getting off topic.

HAHAHAHHAHA, you are completely right, i hate that about strokes, there are wayz to fix that but it takes time and thats what you dont want to do spend to much time, i dont know what was Adobe thinking or maybe they just didnt noticed....

maybe we should e-mail someone so they can fix that in a future version...

BTW, i fixed it, nothing like a rectangular marquee filled with black to help in troublesome situations :whistling

Last edited:
R

Rage2Wrath

It's already been said but I shall say it again, you don't want to play those games on a console. Xbox or GC. But in my opinion they could port D3 and Hl2 to gamecube, if they can to xbox. The xbox is hardly any more powerful than the gamecube and in some ways the gamecube is better than the xbox. It would take more time and in the end I doubt it would be worth it, but I'm sure it could be done. I mean look at Resident Evil 4, all of that is real time, un-fucking-believable! So don't tell me that Xbox is soo much faster than the Gamecube. They even used Pixel shaders in Star Fox Adventures.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IMO if you want to play an FPS like resident evil or halo on a console, then Doom 3 and HL2 would be no different. Personally I don't like any of those on a console though.

Also IMO the xbox's muscle hasn't been fully flexed yet, and Doom 3 could very well do that, I don't see it happening on a cube though.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Gorxon said:
Someone here should perhaps read up on some games before they post ;)

Only one I have ever played was an FPS, unless the gamecube version is different than the playstation version.

Alchy

None on either console are FPS. You do know what a FPS is, right? First person shooter. All of the Resident Evil games have been third person.

R4kk00n

Alchy said:
None on either console are FPS. You do know what a FPS is, right? First person shooter. All of the Resident Evil games have been third person.
Except for RE: Survivor on PSX. It is an FPS.

jdsony

I don't see why people are getting so worked up. Sure Doom 3 and Half-life 2 will be better on a PC but really it would still be a great game on the consoles. I much prefer first person shooters with a keyboard and mouse because it's easier but I can still have fun playing in front of the TV with a controller (a few weeks ago I played Half-life for DC for a couple hours when I could be playing it on the PC with a much higher res and much shorter load times). The keyboard and mouse is better sure but does that mean anything else is complete crap? 1600x1200 is better but does that mean anything lower is crap? Buying a gamecube and a game is going to be a so much cheaper than buying a computer and big monitor. If you already have a computer it's still going to be half the price or less of a near top end video card and less than a quarter of the price of the best cards on the market.

I would have to say both Doom 3 and Half-life 2 would suck on the PS2 but I'm sure the XBOX or the Gamecube could pull them off decently. The XBOX isn't really much more powerful than the Gamecube, most AMD people should understand that mhz don't mean everything. It would be easier to port PC games to the XBOX but x86 hardware is pretty archaic and no where near as efficient as the hardware in the gamecube or any other recent console. Think of the XBOX as American, much like American cars or "Yank Tanks" as the brits like to call them. The XBoX uses pure brute strength, it's big and clunky but runs at 733mhz to make up for it's inefficiency (don't even try to use it as a frisby). The gamecube is small and uses much more advanced hardware but only runs at 485mhz. I'm not saying the gamecube is better as they did make some sacrifices.

There's always some games on consoles that just blow away what you find on a current PC as well as PC games that blow away anything on the consoles. Many console games and PC games are so different as well and it's nice to see the attention to detail and the innovation the Japanese bring after playing a lot of PC games.

Last edited: